300 with gm ls3 head

Firepower354":243shrfy said:
For drag only, billet is as easy as lifting a slab-O-luminum on to the table and punching the right buttons.

A billet head has been available for over 15 years now for these engines. They only cost $8K for a bare head, so if money is no object, you can have what ever you can image.

who makes that!?!

as much as i thoroughly enjoy this discussion, it is getting a little gonzo even for me. that guy with the '10 second maverick' is running all stock bottom end, minor head modifications, and has to be pushing 500 hp based on power/weight alone. Holding up quite well at 15-20 lbs of boost according to the article. Does anybody know if he posts on a forum somewhere or anything else about him? To me that really sounds like the ultimate application of this motor, exploiting it for its natural strengths.

I wouldn't compare it to polishing a turd, because the big 6 is an awesome engine, but to me trying to turn it into a high revving N/A screamer is like trying to make strawberry shortcake with really good spaghetti sauce.... its gonna take a lot of sugar and never be that good. Enjoy your spaghetti for spaghetti and if you want desert buy some strawberries.

that said, you guys that are doing this (or you guy, because only one person is posting pics) are pretty awesome for trying.

CNC-Dude":1t6iog4y said:
Firepower354":1t6iog4y said:
For drag only, billet is as easy as lifting a slab-O-luminum on to the table and punching the right buttons.

A billet head has been available for over 15 years now for these engines. They only cost $8K for a bare head, so if money is no object, you can have what ever you can image.

15 years is a long time ago, from an engineering and airflow standpoint, no?

I saw a few P/S Truck SB heads on the flowbench, and they were pretty heavy breathers. 125hp/hole with less cubes.

Alan Johnson began making them 15 years ago, yes. But he also makes Billet Top Fuel Heads for all the top teams including himself as well as most of all the top Pro Stock teams. Also all of the current Ford inline Comp Eliminator guys use that head. So he has advanced with the times and can produce a head that can provide more than you could ever build an engine to utilize to its fullest.

Full circle, to it being more than adequate for the limitations beneath it, and farther away from the original topic :rolflmao:

The other guys have a fix.
DSCF0030-324x235.jpg

I guess until someone cuts up some LS heads and brings this to fruition, we'll never know if its worth doing. It would be cool for a "one off" kind of project, but has too many other "one off" mods that don't make it practical to do it for profit. LSM has some cool stuff too.

Firepower354":4ya3u2wm said:
Full circle, to it being more than adequate for the limitations beneath it, and farther away from the original topic :rolflmao:

The other guys have a fix.
DSCF0030-324x235.jpg

Looking at that block I wonder why they didn't go all the way and make it deep-skirted, cross-bolted, and splayed-bolt four-bolt mains?? Everythings a compromise I guess.

chessterd5":y7esr032 said:
when we say big money for a custom cam? how much are we talking?
$700 - $1000

Chump change if you're Moal, Meyer, Coker, Foose, or Leno.

doooo it, dooo it, dooo it,...! Hey, peer pressure always moved me. Seriously though, if this is the right head to use. what is the valve & push rod angle? What about piston to valve clearance ? How far off are the head bolt holes? I'm sorry if these are very simple questions I'm just fascinated by this idea & I would like to learn more thank you.

Haaa, no, I won't use the Sawz-All. Band saw then mill, weld, mill. I still think I can do it as 2 separate heads.
There are better-flowing versions, like the LS3 the thread started with, but these 817's were only $20 at recycling.

Ugh, how did I miss this. I want a high flowing, street able, fairly bolt on, aluminum head sooo bad. CNC-DUDE, pretty please??

if you can do the 3d-scanning i can send you castings of the chambers on the efi and '84 late model carb motor, if its of any use to you. I have them both off and sitting on the bench, and i need a scan of the EFI motor so i can redesign the chamber.

I'll probably cast them with silicone. maybe even do the whole intake and exhaust ports and everything on the EFI motor.

Back