300 with gm ls3 head

yeah i had totally forgot this thread existed, just got me thinking as i saw a 'high port' ford Kent (pre crossflow) head that someone in england is reproducing for formula ford or some vintage race class.

I will say one thing for sure about the LS head engine.
It is real pretty.
That head sits there like it was always ment to be there.

I've been doing a lot of reading on the web about the LS3 heads and have learned a few things.
This is the first head that Chevy has put a 3 angle valve job on from the factory. Funny you would have thought they would have done so before now.
This head has really big valves 2.16 and 1.59 and is built in such a way as to require the chamber to be exactly over the bore. So its going to have to be welded up from 6 sections not 3.
Flows 360 cfm intake and 240 exhaust with a pocket port only. So this thing really is a big gun.

I did a lot of talking over the phone with guys that weld up racing motorcycle heads and they did not ever heat treat any of them.
You could consider artificial aging (bring the part to 480 degrees for between 12 and 24 hours) to aid dimensional stability and improve machining qualities. That temp is low enough that your valve seats and guilds should be safe. This applies to any alloy in the 3XX range.
I would consider helicoiling all threaded holes and using washers and shims under the head bolts and valve springs to prevent damage to the softer aluminum.

Merry Christmas to Everyone

A guy named Bill in Tulsa sent me these pics a few years ago. I have not seen it in person.

cylhead.jpg

ls1300head.jpg

ls1300head1.jpg

Back