All Small Six XFlow Head

This relates to all small sixes

Cesarvi17

Subscriber
Supporter 2023
Hey guys, I got a CrossFlow Head that I’m going to use on a 200. However, I’ve been advised that I may need Custom Pistons with Valve Pockets to make it work and to get the compression to 10:1 at least. Cox Customs has been a big help so far as well as Bubba. I know the Fordsix Tech Guide doesn’t mention any change to pistons when swapping the Xflow Head, so hopefully one of you guys have some info on Pistons for this particular build. Thank you in advance.

Is it the 3.3, XC head? 1976? or is it post '79, the 4.1 XD (thru '88? 4.5 X5).

Get what U can from our member Jack https://fordsix.com/ams/australian-250-crossflow-swap.50/
if U have not already. A plate needs attached to side of motor.
Now I see supporter/subscriber so assume you're prepared/read it...
Appreciate the help chad. The head is from the 250 Xflow Block. Here are the codes I found on the head.

Attachments

• 158A0290-4B9E-4BE3-AB10-3A7116E4FE79.jpeg
    158A0290-4B9E-4BE3-AB10-3A7116E4FE79.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • 288C0BAA-B360-4610-98C5-D30535256074.jpeg
    288C0BAA-B360-4610-98C5-D30535256074.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
The combustion chamber of an Xflow head can range from 42cc to 57cc, so piston choice and final CR is dependent on which head you have. Take a picture of the combustion chamber of your head and the area inbetween the #1 and #2 cylinder on the inlet side. Some heads have a casting code there (C1, C1A, C2, C2A, E1, E2 or D).

I see one of your pictures has a "D" in the casting, but I can't tell where on the head it is. If it is a "D" between the #1 and #2 cylinder on the inlet side, then the head has a closed combustion chamber with a 42cc volume. If that's the case, a stock dished 200 piston will yield a 10:1 CR.

Stick the head on a 250ci block, that way you can get the CR you want with factory pistons, (not sure why you want to go that high anyway) plus you get 50 more cubes, no amount of VE or rpm is going to make up for that. And you get more clearance for the dizzy under the intake manifold. Nobody here in Australia would bother with 200ci unless they had to. 250 crossflow can easily run with modest 302s, 200 wont. Lumpy top pistons are a bit of a factor in poor thermal efficiency, flat will always be better, even if you have to give away some CR. CR is NOT the be all and end all, VE IS.

Stick the head on a 250ci block, that way you can get the CR you want with factory pistons, (not sure why you want to go that high anyway) plus you get 50 more cubes, no amount of VE or rpm is going to make up for that. And you get more clearance for the dizzy under the intake manifold. Nobody here in Australia would bother with 200ci unless they had to. 250 crossflow can easily run with modest 302s, 200 wont. Lumpy top pistons are a bit of a factor in poor thermal efficiency, flat will always be better, even if you have to give away some CR. CR is NOT the be all and end all, VE IS.
I'm not certain this is the case for him, but if its an early 200 (pre 67) switching to a 250 will also entail changing the transmission, bellhousing, clutch and flywheel, which is all well and good if he is prepared to blow the car apart for the upgrade, but if he is just looking to improve the power of an existing 200 thats a different matter. Thats exactly how I would do it, upgrade what is existing to see if the power is enough to satisfy me, if not then I would already have the X flow head to put on a 250 down the road when I got ready to do it. I did just that on the 258 in my CJ7,yanked the stock head and carb intake and put a 4.0 HO head EFI intake and exhaust header on it, I have a 4.0 block, 258 crank and another head to build a stroker and have planned to build the stroker and install it when the original 258 gives up the ghost but its been over 10 years and the original 258 refuses to cooperate.

lub them (willy's, now amc), rootin U never get the chance (naw, now that wouldnt B friendly).
AMC or ThriftPower (even the Slanty), long wait for failure (8:1 compression; 3, 4K rpm; etc... Not like our other models, eh?)
B kind, love a poor lill rejected i6 today (if U can find one !) If not seek them out - 2JZ, S58 (beemer turbo direct inject), barra

The combustion chamber of an Xflow head can range from 42cc to 57cc, so piston choice and final CR is dependent on which head you have. Take a picture of the combustion chamber of your head and the area inbetween the #1 and #2 cylinder on the inlet side. Some heads have a casting code there (C1, C1A, C2, C2A, E1, E2 or D).

I see one of your pictures has a "D" in the casting, but I can't tell where on the head it is. If it is a "D" between the #1 and #2 cylinder on the inlet side, then the head has a closed combustion chamber with a 42cc volume. If that's the case, a stock dished 200 piston will yield a 10:1 CR.
Yes that “D” is in between cylinders 1 and 2. Just for reassurance, I looked on both side of the head and between all cylinders for any other casting numbers. Thanks for the information and for the help. Right now the block has Flattop Pistons with stock Conrods but I’ll be changing the Rods for stronger ones.

I would have to consider a lot of things including the costs to swap the 250 in a 1965 Mustang. I hear a lot of good things about the 250 and a lot of good things about the 200. That being said, I hear more bad things about the 250 (detonation issues, more weight, poor dynamic ratios).

Does the the 200 you intend use still have rods and pistons in it?

What cam are you going to use?
Has Stocks rods for now (will be using either 1JZ rods or Spool Import Rods). Has Flattops in it. But once new rods go in, custom pistons will also go in. Don’t know which type of piston would be best for this application still. As of right now, the cam I’m looking to get will be somewhere around 292/292 108LSA. Needs to be custom made.

I'm not certain this is the case for him, but if its an early 200 (pre 67) switching to a 250 will also entail changing the transmission, bellhousing, clutch and flywheel, which is all well and good if he is prepared to blow the car apart for the upgrade, but if he is just looking to improve the power of an existing 200 thats a different matter. Thats exactly how I would do it, upgrade what is existing to see if the power is enough to satisfy me, if not then I would already have the X flow head to put on a 250 down the road when I got ready to do it. I did just that on the 258 in my CJ7,yanked the stock head and carb intake and put a 4.0 HO head EFI intake and exhaust header on it, I have a 4.0 block, 258 crank and another head to build a stroker and have planned to build the stroker and install it when the original 258 gives up the ghost but its been over 10 years and the original 258 refuses to cooperate.
It’s a 67 Block 200. Has the 9 1/4 inch clutch assembly with a 4 Speed Toploader. Will be “streat”/strip application. It’s all going into a 65 Mustang so switching to a 250 would mean a quite bit more of work. That’s good advice to do down the line though if it’s not satisfying enough.

also think bout suspension? might "get in the way"? just like 3.3 to 4.1 changes - forward thinkin ("guessing" lol).
Run by the other threads here on this mod.
We (I) love pic...

also think bout suspension? might "get in the way"? just like 3.3 to 4.1 changes - forward thinkin ("guessing" lol).
Run by the other threads here on this mod.
We (I) love pic...
Going to do some suspension mods yes. Rebuilt the rear suspension and some of the front. Next is the Shelby Drop with new Upper Control Arms.

Has Stocks rods for now (will be using either 1JZ rods or Spool Import Rods). Has Flattops in it. But once new rods go in, custom pistons will also go in. Don’t know which type of piston would be best for this application still. As of right now, the cam I’m looking to get will be somewhere around 292/292 108LSA. Needs to be custom made.
Why does it need to be custom made?
Here's one "off-the-shelf":

It’s a 67 Block 200. Has the 9 1/4 inch clutch assembly with a 4 Speed Toploader. Will be “streat”/strip application. It’s all going into a 65 Mustang so switching to a 250 would mean a quite bit more of work. That’s good advice to do down the line though if it’s not satisfying enough.
Since you already have a toploader, a swap to a 250 is greatly simplified now your just talking about an engine swap dressed with flywheel clutch and bellhousing, you don't have to mess with the trans shifter or driveshaft, the bellhousing is much easier to find than the C7ZA bell you had to get for your toploader swap.So if it becomes desirable to do so it shouldn't be terribly difficult.

Thats a lot of messing around in the crossflow, its the studs guide plates etc etc just like a cleveland, and for little gain, stay hydraulic, if you run a 250ci, it wont need to rev much beyond 5500 in any event for street use.
What’s the benefit of Hydraulic for a Strip application?

What’s the benefit of Hydraulic for a Strip application?
None.

I just got done with an aggressive hydraulic cam in a competition 300 six.

We had what I thought was sufficient spring pressure with a Beehive valve spring but had valve float and lifter pump up starting at 5200 rpm.
Shimmed the springs for another 20 lbs and the engine will now go to 6500 but I feel there is still some power missing due to lifter leak down with the higher spring pressure.

This is after we lost a single cam lobe on the first cam.

Next year solid roller.

The solid lifter flat tappet cam will have a more aggressive profile than a hydraulic and make more power without the worry of valve train instability due to lifter pump up or leak down.
Secondly, you can get solid lifters with a small hole in the face that pressure feeds oil directly onto the cam lobe.

Last edited:
Back