Who wants a smog legal six, and is prepared to pay for it?

xctasy

5K+
VIP
I've been looking at the prospect of getting an emissions legal upgrade to the 200. Just playing a scenario over.

There are so many of them about, and with the prospect of alloy heads and better cams, I'd say the numbers of potential 200 cube modifiers is very high.

I've done a quick check of what is currently holding things back for the worlds greatest little six, and its only one thing....

Emissions Nazis!

So rather than prentending they don't exsit, and running away and practising our black art under cover of darkness, why don't we bite the bullet an look at what is involved in getting a 200 cube engine fitted out with EGR and an air pump, cataylist and see if we can't get a benchmark test done. If a stock 1984 3.3 Fairmont can be tract down which is used as a bench mark, we could add the parts to it, and then run another sniffer test.

We could then file for an Execute Order so we are all able to modify our sixes without having the emmisions guys wrap us in chains! An EO number, or a CARB sticker gives our craft a future. Any existing 200 cube engine from 64 to 84 would then be an item of worth, because we could all rebuild it to a common spec, and get some real power out of the old iron lump.

I think there is a prospect of adding any D8 head which would have to be blueprinted to a spec. CNC machining the base head could allow us to ensure the basic ingredients of the comming alloy head are already being tested.

A standard Stovebolt/ Cliffy adaptor converted to a legal EGR type to a 2150 Motorcraft carb can be used, a specific cat back dual exhast header like on the Big Six Trucks only tubular (Az made a prototype tube header a while back which would fit any block), relocating a 4.9 Six catalyst where the V8 one normally sits in S-shell Foxes or the later X-shell heat sheilfd found on Mavericks or Granadas could be fitted to an early Mustangs or whatever. Then for a 5-speed, and a Big Al style adaptor to run a T5 behind any high or low mount I6. Bellhousings are getting scarce, but with a proper focus, we could ensure that all the bits for the kit are listed and taken care of.

All these products exist, and have been contributions from long time members. Some of the parts have been hidden away, awaiting for the right marketing focus and other parts to make them usefull.

The reason for looking at the V8 style 2150 Motorcraft is it can give the 175 hp we need to be competitive against any 190 or 225 5.0 V8. Remember, the 200 is a very light engine, over 100 pounds less than a 5.0, and, when the alloy head comes out, it'll be over 150 pounds lighter. It doesn;t have to run an 8.8 " diff, nor does it have to run the World Class T5.

It also gives the Fox Mustang and Fairmont guys the option of having a great performance car to last a long time. At the moment, these cool cars are avoided because of the emissions issues.

A good six will do 16.5 second quarter miles, and do 122 mph in any 3000 pound Mustang or Fairmont. The C4 or C5 needs no overdrive at the 175 hp level, it can be geared just fine, with no need for the wide ratio spread. The C4 is also the best 3 stage trans Ford has ever made, and it is perfectly suited.

The cost of flunking a Excutive Order benchmark test is about US $20 000, but a kit could spread the cost through as little as 100 units.

If a rebuilt base short block engine was 1500 exchange with the right Clay Smith cam, good quality cast alloy HSC pistons and forged rods with ARP bolts , and the emsision friendly carb/header/reco head/ignition kit was 3000, then it would give legitimacy to our craft. If there was a proper markup, with full support from people who have done the conversion, then the prospect of alloy headed turbo 3.3's being unleashed would be within reach.

When the turbo header and alloy head come on stream, we could then look at using the same header and an intercooled turbo package... with a CARB or EO approval.

In so doing, anyone could afford to add performance to their little six on a drip feed if finances were tight, or all at once if you have a need for a bad power fix.

The figures are staggering. Its nothing to make an emissions legal 175 hp with a stock 3.3 with just the right gear. Add the alloy head, and there is often another 40 hp hiding in a great cylinder head, your up to the 215 hp mark with no loss in fuel economy, because it is able to flow and mix the fuel and air so much better.

Adding a turbo with an intercooler should go to the 280 hp mark on the iron head, and to 350 hp with the alloy head.

The basic engine is very sound, and everyone would come here to find a great core engine. Even if we just sold 100 engines in the first year and they didn't comply with as an emission spec engine, there would be a huge flow on effect, because the other, increasingly cheeper disk and rack and pinion steering kits or strut IFS set-ups could then have a reason for being fitted up.

The more I look at your humble I6 engines, the more I like.

Beauty of a 1965 Mustang...no emission standards to be met. Surprisingly though (at least to me at first) my 3.3 in the mustang has better emissions in ALL categories then my 1991 explorer with a 4.0L V-6 and our 99 Mustang 3.8L V-6. Only my volvo with a 2.3L I-5 Turbo beat the 65 on emissions.

Slade

Emissions regulations vary from state to state, locality to locality here in the US. For example, here in FL there is no testing whatsoever. In other states, only certain areas are tested. In some states, all vehicles are tested. There is no restriction on engine swaps based on emissions in Florida as there is in California, so a crossflow swap is very feasible without all the emissions concerns.

That said, it's really in our best interest to build efficient, clean running engines. Generally, an efficient engine builds power and lowers most emissions concurrently. The real problems are the tradeoffs to balance NOx, CO, and HC since they are produced under varying conditions and reducing one may increase another. Still, it's possible to be clean and powerful.

8) one nice thing though is you dont have to build an egr compliant carb adaptor, as the egr opening is in the bottom of the intake.

Power and tuning is the same as efficiency and good emissions.

Years ago, when I had the time, I did extensive controlled testing using my F250 built FT 390. Using the Washington state certified emissions centers I started with a “Baselineâ€￾ or an emissions reading before I made any changes to the carburetion or ignition.

Long story short my monster Ford Big Block late model FT 390 had barely any emissions. The final reading was better than a family members new Ford V6 Explorer.

The point is that I think you would be surprised what good compression and good tuning will produce. Or I guess what it “Won’tâ€￾ produce when it comes to emissions.

Good luck, Ric.

In Mass, all new cars are required to have CA emissions to be sold here.

For cars over 20 years old, emission is done per the vehicle year. I can buy a brand new monster motor, strip off any emissions, drop it in the '65 and run the motor from an aftermarket ECU and never have to worry about emissions. Inspection is only for safety, they have no need to even open the hood except to take a look. They have been working on regulating aftermarket exhaust systems, but I'm not sure that they can control that effectively.

It's different for custom-manufactured cars. Those fall into the year it was built. I worked with a guy who had a VW-based '55 Porsche Spyder replica. It was built in '98 so needs to pass '98 emissions. It's a new VW motor running dual DFV's. Last place he went, the motor was so bad it broke the machine, the levels are too high to be measured. Can't say I feel sorry for him. He seems think it's a real Spyder and has been trying to register it as a '55 and gives the impression that it will lessen the value of the car if it's classified as a 'Kit Car'. Call Boyd Coddington and ask how that's worked out for him :roll:

The biggest problem with a well tuned engine without EGR is NOx, the HC and CO are fine. But, the higher combustion temps result in more NOx. But most of us here in the US dont have to worry about that, OBD2 and all, they dont seem to think anyone drives older cars anymore :roll: so atleast where I live, anything older than 96 is just safety.

Back