All Small Six Valve cover breather with check ball

This relates to all small sixes

65coupei6

Famous Member
Staff member
VIP
I am swapping valve covers again so I need a new breather and found one with a check valve.

My setup has a ME Wagner PCV valve going from the valve cover into the back of the FiTech. So should I use a check valve in the front oil breather? My brain is confused.

From the manufacturer:
With check ball - Air is only allowed to exit the crankcase. It cannot enter the crankcase. This option is used with a PCV system which already has another source for air to enter the crankcase when under vacuum. Also used in applications with a mass air flow sensor so that unmetered air does not enter the crankcase.

Without check ball - Air is allowed to exit and enter the crankcase. This option is used when the PCV system needs a source for air to enter the crankcase when under vacuum. Can be used in applications where the PCV system has been deleted.

Incorporates a check valve to keep unmetered air from coming through while the crankcase is under vacuum. In other words, this breather acts just like a factory oil cap under normal driving conditions and when you get into boost it will release any crankcase pressure present.

I don't think you should use one of those Check Valve Breather's on a NA engine it would not let the PCV work. So maybe then you would use one only if your are running a Turbo or Super Charger.

not sure this will help:

My brain is confused.
From the manufacturer:
- Air is only allowed to exit the crankcase.
not enter. There is a miniml amount in there, but it sure is churnin w/all that activity. Let it out (B cleaned) by lettin some in. Oily, some hydrocarbons but the wagner is an excelent 'meter' for any kinda control U want. Like a ball valve between 2 tanks it "meters" between both tanks. sabe?

Back