All Small Six Uship knocked radiator hose off

This relates to all small sixes

mavchick

So, I shipped my Maverick from Arizona to Miami, FL via UShip. At some point during transport the Uship driver knocked my lower radiator hose off. When I received it it wasn't running smoothly. I parked it for a day then went back to it. The next day the car wouldn't start. I looked under the car, no oil spills under car, or radiator fluid. I noticed the radiator hose had falen off. I attempted to attach it but was unsuccessful. My radiator is a custom chrome one that my dad put on. I wasn't able to squeeze it back on myself so now I'm in the process of getting a fixable hose because the last one didn't fit.

I'm just concerned that the uship driver drove the car without a hose and now my sparkplugs and headgasket are blown. What's your diagnosis? Should I file a claim with Uship?

Attachments

• 20210322_133941.jpg
    20210322_133941.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 5
Nice looking 1971 Maverick. No telling how much time they ran the engine or how far they drove it without coolant in the engine and then what kind of damage it may have done. That could be from none if it was only a short amount of time but by how you say it now runs I would have to suspect it to be more. Possible blown head gasket, worpped head surface. plugs. Ect.You could do a compression test on it that may tell you if there is any internal problems. Was the lower hose clamp still on the hose? Yes you might want to look into makeing a claim. Good luck

Nice looking 1971 Maverick. No telling how much time they ran the engine or how far they drove it without coolant in the engine and then what kind of damage it may have done. That could be from none if it was only a short amount of time but by how you say it now runs I would have to suspect it to be more. Possible blown head gasket, worpped head surface. plugs. Ect.You could do a compression test on it that may tell you if there is any internal problems. Was the lower hose clamp still on the hose? Yes you might want to look into makeing a claim. Good luck
Thank you! It's actually a 1973. Yes I'm in the process if filling an insurance claim with them, although I've never done it. I'm wondering if I should take it to a repair shop for estimates of damages or should I just attempt to repair it myself?
Yes the lower hose clamp was still on the hose.

Attachments

• 20210322_140414.jpg
    20210322_140414.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
If you loosen up that lower hose clamp some (about two to tree full turns) then the hose will be able to slide back on the radator outlet then retighten the hose clamp and refill the radator. Are your radator hoses spongy / soft or are they firm? You will usally need the estimate of the repair costs for the claim, afterwards if they settle with you could do your own repairs if you wanted and save on the accual costs. Taking lots of pictures like that one above to ducument any damage that is found is very helpful to. You might also pull the spark plugs out for an inspection too. I have seen this happen before with a stuck Therm O Stat and or very soft radator hoses. Best of luck

If you loosen up that lower hose clamp some (about two to tree full turns) then the hose will be able to slide back on the radator outlet then retighten the hose clamp and refill the radator. Are your radator hoses spongy / soft or are they firm? You will usally need the estimate of the repair costs for the claim, afterwards if they settle with you could do your own repairs if you wanted and save on the accual costs. Taking lots of pictures like that one above to ducument any damage that is found is very helpful to. You might also pull the spark plugs out for an inspection too. I have seen this happen before with a stuck Therm O Stat and or very soft radator hoses. Best of luck

The hoses are firm, not soft, but I will have to put a flexible hose on because this one would not fit back on. I tried for about an hour. The current hose is from a Granada because the stock hose would not fit the custom radator. I cut that hose and was able to slip it on initially, but no luck now. I think a flex hose is the way to go.

Thank you for the advice re the estimates etc. I think you're right about pulling out the spark plugs to take photos.

Something else you could try is to cut the hose in the straight part of the upper section take out about 1 1/2 or 2 inches or what ever it takes to make the bottom of the hose fit straight onto the bottom radiator outlet. Then reconnect it using a sleeve and two more hose clamps.

Something else you could try is to cut the hose in the straight part of the upper section take out about 1 1/2 or 2 inches or what ever it takes to make the bottom of the hose fit straight onto the bottom radiator outlet. Then reconnect it using a sleeve and two more hose clamps.
That sounds great! Actually great idea!

file claim immediatly (when finding anything. U must ck out everything @ 'drop off"). Have mechanic, non-household member look, sign a statement. Get mechanic's opinion & repair cost on paper (U may not realize the amount of pressure required to knock that off, the additional damage done). Hope U have not waited too long~

give more detail if wanting more specificity in answ~
A ltr to them w/ a deadline assists "Plez let me no ur intentions to correct w/in the nxt 2 wk (11 d, whatever)." Time is important.

Can't tell if the hose were inferior, too big, of poor quality, if radiator now cracked, jogged on its mount bolts, just need more info to offer much...
All I have isa mental pic of a very steep ramp and the Mav's nose draggin on exit/transition to the pavement. I have seen this and on 1 occasion even hada jack/prop up frnt wheels to get a bud's car unstuck...

Back