Updates on all my issues (yes, I know. I have lots of them)

A

Anonymous

Ok gang. Since I had threads all over the freakin place with issues of all shapes and sizes, I thought I'd bring them all together here:

First off, I had a great day at the Pompano Air Fair Air and Auto Show. Some really amazing planes and cars. One nice red '63 Falcon with a motor everyone was oogling won first in class. :D BIG trophy.

Funny thing happend on the way into the show. I stopped at the registration booth to pay my $; left the car idling (since it was running great and sounds good even with the crappy exhaust). About 1 minute later..POP! :shock: an ungood sound. Well, i limped slowly to my spot (everyone heard me coming and NOT in a good way :oops: ). Long story short: snapped rocker arm retaining cap bolt. The #2 cylinder rockers were flopping all over! Luckily, I was able to back the broker stub out, run to NAPA and replace it. I gathered up my trophy and made my way home...ran like CRAP all the way.

So, with that all said, I tasked everything out tonight:

1. float level: the float adjustment nut had compeltely lost thread on the adjuster so my float level = 0. I was able to back it up enough to get more bite on it again and viola...Prob#1 fixed.

2. Timing. Hol-e-crap. We built the motor balls-on afterall. TDC on dampner DOES - TDC on pointer. I made the mistake of relying on a helper to help feel were TDC of #1 was last time we set it. He must have waited until the damn piston was half way down the cylinder to say STOP! Long story short, dialed it in RIGHT tonight. WHAT a difference. Ping all gone.

3. cooling. I spent pretty much all of yesterday afternoon staring at my new 3-row radiator and the 1" of space I had between it and my WP pulley. Turns out NOONE makes a 3/4" thick electric fan (yes, I knew that, but I had to try calling around). Long story short: sawzall + time + planning = a little less radiator support, a new 3-row radiator, a my stock fan (for now). A little water wetter to finish it off and she's defintely cooler. I'm not sure how much because my brand new gauge is not reading right. It starts at like 200 with the engine cold. It goes up to like 255. So, if it really does go up about 55 degrees, then that would mean it's running right around 175 because my gauge starts at 120.

4. valve cover leaking: ongoing battle. I put the stock cover back on with a new gasket and it clears the OZ runner better than the chrome one with no grinding or anything. MUCH less leak but not finished yet.

5. tranny pan leak. Damn. I did a really carefull job of flattening the rim, drying everything and dregreasing. RTVing the edge of the pan and bolting it on to a nice dry surface...thought I had it. :( like the valve cover, MUCH MUCH less leaking, but still not right.

6. oh yeah, ignition wiring. :oops: all I can say is DUH! i haven't fixed it yet, but I will shortly.

7. while it was open, i readjusted my valves (all needed it a bit) and everything is peachy.

All in all, I had a very good day. I had a little heart ache when I heard that clanking at the show field, but it was a good learning experience and the car is running much better now. THANKS to all here for all of your help, suggestion, time, etc. I couldn't have done it all without yall's help.

PS: mike, if you read this, what are the torque specs on the Yella Terra cap bolts? There were no torque specs in teh box and I think I probably had that one over torqued :oops:

Hey,at least ya got a trophy 8) :eek: !! I'm sure all your little "issues" will be all but forgotten soon (y) :wrench: :smash: !! OO6./The-X-Or-Six!

Bryce,
I so want your engine for my car..
Even with the headaches you had.. it looks so cool.
I'd love to hear how nice it runs.
Nathan

Thanks Nate. It doesn't really sound all that good...yet. Still have the headers tied in to the crappy old system until I can drum up some $ for my Flowmasters and piping. Not to mention I've got a little exhaust leak and the center port(s)...blowing up past the intake. Forgot to mention that one. That's going to be a tricky one. God love the man that ever has to take headers off this motor. Holy schmoly it's tight in there. We dropped the motor in with them on...now I know why!

At any rate, like Steven said...a little time and perserverance will prevail!

next items on the menu in order (besides that pesky exhaust leak):

- rebuild the front steering components (tie rods, centerlink, etc)
- flowmasters, x pipe, 2" all the way back to tips
- '77 Maverick 8" rear end (all ready in hand)... now I just have to find a C4 and a driveshaft to match. You think I've asked a bunch of questions now! ;)

Bryce,

Sounds like your making good progress, congrats on the trophy!

Keep us posted and let us know if the links Adam posted are a help.

Keep up the good work!

You're doing alright overall. Check your local AutoZone for the C4, $399, can't beat it. Driveshaft can be made to fit.I'm dealing wothteh valve cover leaks too. Frustrating as hell! I had teh tranny leak, but seems thus far, I got it.

yep, Chaz, sure did. I think if I chrome the original one (says Powered by Ford), it'd be sharp. The aftermarket chrome one is just flimsy in comaprison.

i have the exact same one...powered by ford...and want to chrome it too...I thought it was expensive..

I think I am gonna media blast it and paint it for now...if you find a chrome-er let me know....

chazthephoenix":38lqfg2v said:
i have the exact same one...powered by ford...and want to chrome it too...I thought it was expensive..

I think I am gonna media blast it and paint it for now...if you find a chrome-er let me know....

I have tried everything with two of the chrome covers with no luck. If you look at the lip, the chrome is deeper than the OEM. Went back to the OEM Saturday after installing roller rockers, so far no leak.

If you look at the pic's Mustangaroo posted on his supercharger it seems he had his jet hot coated. If I can find one with the pcv in the back, I'll do the same since I had the intake and headers done.

Hang in there guys, I hope to have the ribbed alloy covers around the first of the year. Still waiting on the pattern, but once thats done, everythnig else should move right along. And they will have the back PVC hole.

chomping at the bit Mike! ;) better make plenty of them!

Hey Chaz, I have a good chromer here in Deerfield. I've had a bunch of stuff done with him. When I get a price, I'll ask for a deal to do two of them and see what I can work out. it won't be any time soon though...funds are TIGHT.

THATS A GREAT IDEA...no hurry. I assume he will clean them too?

I might try to get it blasted before hand though. gunking up my closet

any plater that doesn't acid dip and spitshine to item before plating, is in the wrong biz. Yes, he does.

Back