too much pressure (fuel)

Fylfot 66

Is it possible for a mechanical fuel pump to cause too much pressure? i carried out a compression test today because i've had running/starting issues ever since i got the car. The comp test was all good, but as i was doing it and cranking the engine, fuel started pouring out of the join between the fuel pump hardline and the rubber pipe that couples it to the carter 1v carb filter. I've never noticed any leakage there before, i've swapped the rubber hose and renewed the clips now, but it got me wondering, 'what happens to the fuel etc in the carb bowl is full and the float valve is closed but the pump is pumping away like a goodun, does the fuel push past the valve, bending the adjustment tang? The pump mounting flange doesn't cover the machined flat face on the block, is this normal, could it be the wrong pump, too powerful, causing my running starting issues? any ideas appreciated. David 66 250ci mustang.

the way a mechanical fuel pump works is that when the needle valve is closed, the pressure in the line prevents the outlet valve from opening thus preventing more pressure being put in the line. likely the line was failing anyway, and just a coincidence that it failed when it did.

Back