to super or turbo???

hehe.........i like his paint job 8) :LOL: LONG LIVE THE LE MANNS STRIPES!!

I read in Hot Rod magizine that 30 out of every 100 horsepower, generated by a belt driven supercharger is wasted to run the compressor and w/turbos its about 5 out of every 100 hp. not to mention the poor thermal efficiencies of the roots type blowers. sorry its the engineering classes at school I can't help but talk about efficiencies its how i think now

keep sixn'

Dan

some really interesting points in this topic! I have a 300 6 in my jeep (hench my name) and i have been toying with the supercharger and tirbo for a while, what i want is a torque monster at low rpms for off roading so i take it the supercharger would be the best? and all this talk about blow through carbs is confussing :( i have seen you guys and gals talking about tbi, but what about multiport fuel injection? and is there a "mpi" for a 300 6.

any info would be great thanks!

then you would want a roots-type blower, most likely. (someone had laid out a plan to get 6psi by 1krpm and 10 psi by 1500, but i dont' remember how) Any 300 after about 1987 is multi-port injected, and there are aftermarket 'universal' injection kits available. Bad thing (if you consider it bad) about the "4.9" is that it's a dual batch-fire system. the injectors are divided into two banks of three injectors: three front injectors open at the same time, and the three rear injectors open at the same time. The odd part is that all three injectors of each bank open three times per cylinder cycle. or all three injectors fire 1/3 the necessary fuel for their individual cylinder any time any cylinder of that bank opens it's intake valve. Kind of a wierd set-up, and quite the horrible explanation of it.

Roots blower, yeah. that or a Kenne-Bell Whipplecharger. Turbo, if it's sized properly, but definately not a centrifugal supercharger for this application.
Ern

That is what i thought too. well i guess that i'm going to have to go looking in some junk yards and flea markets :D maybe i will bring the wife? maybe if she has been good :D or should i say me? :LOL:

Here I go again and correct me if I'm wrong. :roll:

The M- series Eaton SCs are NOT Rootes type ala GMC, Detroit Diesel et al, but are a screw type SC which run more efficient, take less power to operate and make less heat.

Thad, you are thinking of whipple.

While the Eaton looks the part, it is still a roots.

As far as running a roots at low RPMs, it isn't difficult. just run a smaller pulley on it so it spins up faster. And just put a blow off valve so you do not overboost.

Also, consider a clutch operated SC, like the mercedes unit...pretty neat.

Slade

Back