This will be fun

Great! Thanks for this. I’ll do some reading and we will start on the bottom half. This has been a great learning experience for myself and my son.
I want this sorta thing to be understood by my kids. You’ve been a great help.

What’s the stock cc usually?

Also what spark plug would you recommend? I installed one with a short reach because it looked as if the intake valve might hit it.
Being a turbo engine I thought maybe a colder plug but I am not sure.

The stock chamber volume is 76cc and it is about .007" cut per cc after that so 74 cc is close enough.
You are correct. The extended reach plug ground straps do get close to the intake valve head so I would stay with the short plugs.
I would start with the standard Autolite or Motorcraft copper plug gapped at .035" and see how they work first.

Did we talk about an ignition system?

This is something I’ve been thinking about but haven’t brought up. I am open to all options. I really like the idea of doing a non-distributor type ignition and using some sort of trigger. I used a Holley sniper setup(fuel and spark) on my old 69 and really liked the product. The Holley EFI looks really nice but I have not looked at it in depth. I’m not completely against a distributor either. I really want the best quality and reliability. Help me

Also, last night I pulled the block apart. It really looks good. I’ll start doing as you suggested this week cleaning it up. Then it’s off to Danny.

Attachments

• 03E27849-AF1B-41D8-9A1B-DE71C95ECF1E.jpeg
    03E27849-AF1B-41D8-9A1B-DE71C95ECF1E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
This is something I’ve been thinking about but haven’t brought up. I am open to all options. I really like the idea of doing a non-distributor type ignition and using some sort of trigger. I used a Holley sniper setup(fuel and spark) on my old 69 and really liked the product. The Holley EFI looks really nice but I have not looked at it in depth. I’m not completely against a distributor either. I really want the best quality and reliability. Help me
To do precision timing correctly with any sequential system you should use a 60-2 tooth trigger wheel on the crankshaft and modify the distributor for a single cam sync pulse for sequential timing of both the injectors and the six ignition coils.

The Holley X is the least of the systems that supports distributorless ignition. I would call the Holley Tech Team to be sure the X will work with a straight six with individual coils.

The Holley HP for sure has all you would need.

Clintonvillian's supercharger project is using the Holley HP with individual coil near ignition.

Last edited:
Obviously not a 300, but I wanted both sensors up front, internal, with just an oil pump drive filling the distributor hole.
On a 300, I'm thinking that a milled slot in the cam gear, 180 degrees, would suffice as the 1x wheel. I need to see how much room there is, but I have some 4" OD 24x crank wheels that are substantially cheaper than the aftermarket ones. I needed to upgrade from the 4x to use the bigger brain box.
122409592_10223742837975789_3318471475739380469_o.jpg

On a 300, I'm thinking that a milled slot in the cam gear, 180 degrees, would suffice as the 1x wheel. I need to see how much room there is,
The 300 cams have a threaded hole in the cam snout that you could use to bolt an extension to that would pull up against the cam gear.
Then you could use a short dowel pin between the extension the the cam gear for positioning.

Very nice thanks. I’m gonna do some homework on all of this. I don’t quite understand how it all works. Yet! I’m glad you guys are there to help guide me. I definitely like the idea of not having anything sticking out of the distributor hole. I take it we are talking cam and crank sensors?

This is an informative thread, I really had fun browsing the conversation and seeing the progress of this build.

I’m really enjoying this too. I’d like the whole thing to be recorded here for others like me to take advantage of. Pmuller I’m up to speed on Clintonvillains post. Good stuff for a guy new to some of this. Any other info I should be absorbing?
I am learning.
Can you give me your opinion on what the best engine management system would be for this truck? A semi daily driver that’s better than average on and off pavement.

I like the Holley products because they have all the matching components available to work with their systems no matter what direction you want to go.
The Holley Terminator X is the most economical system and covers what you will need.

It does not support water injection. You would need the Holley HP

Last edited:
This is the universal kit. Does it look right before I pull the trigger? Seems like it’s good for any engine type.

Attachments

• 80C831CA-FBFA-4C4D-A5EA-FD1286E0AB34.png
    80C831CA-FBFA-4C4D-A5EA-FD1286E0AB34.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 19
It looks right.
Before you pull the trigger speak with the Holley tech team and make sure it will operate on a straight six.
The instructions seem to indicate it will.

Back