Sell me on an induction setup

CobraSix":3mzn4m0a said:
The 3x1 will likely be less finicky then dual webbers. Once you go multi carb, it's complicated. 2 carbs versus 3 won't make much difference. Plus, if you do dual carbs, you are going to be doing a lot of custom fabrication. It's been done by others before, so it is definitely doable. However, the Offy comes as a kit requiring less user engineering.

I'd also argue that the 3x1 is more economical, since when idling you are only running on 1 venturi, instead of 2 with dual webbers.

I’m not intimate with the Webers by any stretch. I figured there would be a fuel-economy hit because of the dual primaries, but I thought the linkage might be simpler; just a straight linkage between the two. Plus I’d get the fuel-distribution and performance advantages of a multi-carb setup. Are the secondaries on the Webers mechanical, or vacuum? If they’re mechanical, I suppose they’d need to be synchronized as well.

I suppose the real attraction over the 3x1 is that I wouldn’t have to track down three matching carburetors, as new Webers can be picked up a few different places: Langdon’s Stovebolt Engine Company appears to be selling matched pairs for $170.

For some reason I’m finding this idea very appealing: Fit larger valves to my D0 head, mill the intake log flat, block off the 1bbl opening, and fit dual progressive Webers.

-Dave

They look good too.

Shucks, too dark in there to see...

The most ambitious members have added the best induction suggestions, I'll just add my .02:

I set up a 170 FAlcon for maximum "modern" drivability. It has extensive head /flow mods (D7 head) on a stock '71 Mav/C8 block. Swapping carbs , optimum for drivability was the H/W progressive 2Bbl. 170 is mated to T5 and OEM 3.50 rear. Head milling and steel shim gasket push CR to @ 9.6:1. Great mileage but on hi-test. .. 2300 series 350 CFM (7448) 2Bbl worked well with more performance orientation. OEM YF and older 1100 and 1904's worked well but different. The low speed stability and small CFM of H/W primary help low RPM response and cruise in OD. @ 2200 RPM at 65MPH and low rear - 5 spd first gear help the little six optimize available torque.

PS: ' just bent the original throttle rod to fit the H/W5200 carb on the '63 Falcon 170

The 3X1 Tri-Power is hours of fun to get set up and any slight changes in tuning any carb, timing, etc - affects everything ... . It's all worth it for the fun of the tune-able mechanical Offy linkage snapping open those outer barrels for a WOT kick in the pants ...

Different carbs even of same series can give produce wide performance variations.

: '63 Wagon w/ miles per’formance six
OEM CDE Ford 170, Precision Machine worked D7 Head . Stainless steel 1.88 intake valves/1.50 exh with- silicon springs and HD retainers, Ported and matched 48cc chambers . Milled w/ Steel Shim Gasket for CR= 9.5:1. H/W 5200 series (32/36) progressive 2Bbl carb., Exhaust ¾ siamese port divider, Re-Curved distributor, Champion racing plugs, T5 5speed tranny, Short throw Hurst Indy shifter, OEM 3.50: rear, Shelby sway bar, , Fabricated subframe connectors and crossmembers, 5 point Safety Belts, Hooker 6601 dual out longtube headers, Original tube radio

'61 T'Bolt Six:
Blueprinted D6DE Ford 250 Six; Jahns Racing cast pistons at @ 10:1CR, Clifford Shot Peened and Balanced Rods, Clifford 272H Cam, Line Bored & Balanced Bottom End, Torque Plate Machined .070 Cylinder Overbore, Sealed Power moly rings, Clevite “77” tri-metal main/rod bearings, FE Chrome-moly pushrods, Stainless steel 1.88 intake valves/1.50 exh with- silicon springs and HD retainers, Ported and Polished chambers and relieved valve shrouds . Cloyes timing set, Melling blueprinted HP oil pump, Clevite Anti pump-up lifters, Fisher custom Harmonic Balancer, Offenhauser Tri-Power 3X1 aluminum intake manifold w/ Offy progressive linkage, Modified Holley 1904 series glass bowl carbs w/ K&N air filters, Exhaust ¾ siamese port divider, Re-Curved Duraspark electronic distributor, GM HEI ignition trigger, Indexed Champion racing spark plugs, Brass expansion plugs, Glyptal sealed engine block, Detroit hipo gasket set, Clifford blueprinted racing engine oil additive, Polished aluminum alternator, timing chain cover, thermostat housing, water pump and PCV., Matte black/alum. 6=8 Clifford valve cover. SFI 157 neutral balance-lightened racing flywheel spinning Centerforce Stage II Clutch, T5-Z Cobra 5speed tranny, Short throw Hurst Indy shifter, 8” 3.80:1 TracLoc Posi rear, Shelby Traction Masters and sway bars, Mustang front strut bars, Scarebird Disc front brakes, Fabricated subframe connectors and crossmembers, 8 Point Roll bar, 5 point Safety Belts, Mustang 5.0 alum. racing radiator, Perma-Cool electric pusher fan, Holley fuel pump/pressure regulator, Hooker 6602 dual out longtube headers, Smithy silencers, Original tube radio and vacuum wipers and front fender Gunsights…

Back