All Small Six Need Help With 250 Parts

This relates to all small sixes
Hello All,

My dad and I started a 1969 mustang project and it has a 250. I want to keep the 250 and just update it. It would be nice to get a new intake, head, headers, and EFI system. Unfortunately, I cant find any of those. haha.

I found an offenhauser intake for 240-300, but there's no information on if that fits a 250. Seems like it doesn't.

I found an aluminum head from classic inlines, but apparently they don't exist anymore.

Seems like offenhauser has headers, but I think it's meant to fit the 300 trucks.

EFI seems possible if I can just get a different intake manifold, but that's already a problem.

Please help.

All years of the US made Ford 250 six'es have a cast iron combo Log intake and head, so these intakes aren't removable like so many other engines such as a 300 Ford six. The very best versions of the stock Log Heads were the 1980 to 1983 200 & 250 heads they are bothe the same and have many improvements over the 1969 version heads. There are a number of ways to mod these stock log intakes to use different single Carb's, multi Carb's, and even Fuel Injection such as the Sniper 2300 and others. As far as the Classic Inlines great Aluminum cylinder heads yes that company was shut down with the death of the owner Mike "Az Coupe" however that head is still being made now by Vintage Inlnes. https://www.vintageinlines.com

Welcome to the most unique - informative and fun Ford Inline six forum ! ...

The Ford small block six 250 is an Anvil strong contender for some simple or extensive upgrades. Returning a 250 to OEM performance specifications will easily rival a generic small block V8. Gather some useful info on forums and decide your most practical build. EFI is best-latest option but significant performance advantage is possible with inexpensive properly tuned OEM 1Bbl carb' or posssible upgrade to a 2Bbl with a simple adppator or machine work on the intake runner. Also, early 250;s are easily upgradesd to electronic ignition system used on later 250's (Ford DSII) .

Have fun

'78 Granada 250 in '61 Comet, with 3-1Bbl's,

One big 2 bbl carb' and a few other upgrades:

'74 Maverick 250 with 2Bbl on adapter (Supercharged):

Last edited:
All years of the US made Ford 250 six'es have a cast iron combo Log intake and head, so these intakes aren't removable like so many other engines such as a 300 Ford six. The very best versions of the stock Log Heads were the 1980 to 1983 200 & 250 heads they are bothe the same and have many improvements over the 1969 version heads. There are a number of ways to mod these stock log intakes to use different single Carb's, multi Carb's, and even Fuel Injection such as the Sniper 2300 and others. As far as the Classic Inlines great Aluminum cylinder heads yes that company was shut down with the death of the owner Mike "Az Coupe" however that head is still being made now by Vintage Inlnes. Vintagelinlines.com
Wow a lot of good info here thank you!

Welcome to the most unique - informative and fun Ford Inline six forum ! ...

The Ford small block six 250 is an Anvil strong contender for some simple or extensive upgrades. Returning a 250 to OEM performance specifications will easily rival a generic small block V8. Gather some useful info on forums and decide your most practical build. EFI is best-latest option but significant performance advantage is possible with inexpensive properly tuned OEM 1Bbl carb' or posssible upgrade to a 2Bbl with a simple adppator or machine work on the intake runner. Also, early 250;s are easily upgradesd to electronic ignition system used on later 250's (Ford DSII) .

Have fun

'78 Granada 250 in '61 Comet, with 3-1Bbl's,

One big 2 bbl carb' and a few other upgrades:

'74 Maverick 250 with 2Bbl on adapter (Supercharged):

The Ford DSII information is really cool. Thank you I'm going to look into that. I wish there were more parts out there.

Hi, there are many performance parts available, as well as "hot rod" upgrades for your 250. Start with the Ford Falcon Performance Handbook from vintageinlines.com. Read the tech section here and come up with a plan before spending money. There is a high performance section here for all out performance guys. See what other guys are doing. Good luck

Hello All,

My dad and I started a 1969 mustang project and it has a 250. I want to keep the 250 and just update it. It would be nice to get a new intake, head, headers, and EFI system. Unfortunately, I cant find any of those. haha.

I found an offenhauser intake for 240-300, but there's no information on if that fits a 250. Seems like it doesn't.

I found an aluminum head from classic inlines, but apparently they don't exist anymore.

Seems like offenhauser has headers, but I think it's meant to fit the 300 trucks.

EFI seems possible if I can just get a different intake manifold, but that's already a problem.

Please help.
Welcome!

Clifford Industries (https://cliffordperformance.net) sells headers for the 250. When I wrote them in March this year they were still in stock. The part number 53-2112, cost was $439.00. They say it's a true dual outlet with 2 collectors.

Personally, I'd stay away from fuel injection - especially the Holley systems. I've read way too much about people having problems with them and poor support from the manufacturer. I'm sure there are people who have no issues with them as well but why overcomplicate a car system that's fundamentally simple and works well?

I do definitely recommend the DuraSpark conversation. It's inexpensive and easy to do and the performance seems better with it.

X3 There are lots of parts support for thses Ford small six's, I encourage you to check out Vintage Inlines to see all the parts available for the Ford small six's. https://www.vintageinlines.com
Hooker Headers used to make a great 250 long tube header in my OPIN it was one of the very best ever made sometimes they come up for sale. If Clifford is still supporting the 250 six that would also be a good one too. There is the stainless header that's made for the 144 to 200's and by making an aluminum or steel spacer plate of abut 3/4 to 1 inch thick these headers can also work the 250. Best of luck

The Ford Falcon Performance Handbook is a definite must and the new guide from vintageinlines.com. Parts are available and some are hard to find so you learn to start shopping early. Depending on how far you want to go, a cam, headwork, new carb and custom curved DSII ignition system would give you a noticeable boost and not that much added expense. And an AODE would make it a nice driver on the highway.

"...and the new guide..."

Back