All Small Six My 200 is a lot more fun that i tought it would be !

This relates to all small sixes

districtqc

Hey ! I have a 67 comet wagon, so its quite a big car. I bought that thing 2 years ago, and it was rough. It had the autolite 1100 with the scv distributor, choke line was pluggued off and gas was leaking out of the the carb. The exhaust manifold had many leaks.

Fast forward to now, i've installed ebay headers, a y pipe and 2.25 inch exhaust tubing with a borla muffler, HEI style distributor and weber 32/36 carb. During the weekend i did the timing , adjusted my throttle linkage among a few other things. I just did a roadtest, and wow, this is a totally different car ! Engine is smooth and it has a lot more power than i anticipated, i'm not gonna win any dragraces with it, but its goes fine ! I feel its quicker than my 93 yukon with a 350 and 5 speed transmission.

For those wondering, the borla muffler (borla pro xs) is damn near perfect, very silent at idle, but when you give it the beans it sounds very good and there is almost no drone at all! I didnt go with duals and i do not regret my choice, i prefer the sound this way. I wanted my six to sound like a six !

Tomorrow i'm going to call some machine shops, i have large log head that i want to rebuilt, its a D5 so intake valves arent any bigger, but i at least want to install the weber whitout the restrictive adapter !

cruisin around in this thing is fun as hell ! Cheers !

Sounds good, I really like station wagons and you have done many beneficial upgrades. I also like the sound associated with a single exhaust system and plan to leave my Bronco like that, it sounds good now, although I do have a header available for it, just not installed. But for now stock exhaust manifold and still has the stock, as far as know, Maremont muffler.

I installed a Jones stamped 2" inside Y-pipe on my ebay header with 2-1/4" exhaust system adapted to a cheap 2-1/2" turbo muffler. It's quieter at lower rpm than it was with a 68 cast iron manifold. There is no drone. Starting about 3,500 rpm it sounds like a 6 cylinder race car. It now easily winds to 5,000 in 2nd and 2nd over which is about 90 mph. I have been carefull not to wind int too high in low. I think my 78 200 has cast iron rods. I have wound it to near 5,500 without floating the stock orriginal valve springs. I installed the header without a gasket. I put orange high temp silicone on the head exhaust. I have tightened the header bolts a few times. So far it works great

I think a restrictive Weber adapter could be easily enlarged with a 2 flute wood router bit in a Harbor Freight mini trim router with the base taken off. A 2 flute bit will easily cut aluminum without clogging. The large log intake bore can easily be greatly enlarged with an electric Harbor Freight die grinder with a carbide bit. I wouldn't worry about D5 valve size. Smaller may equal less shrouding. Enlarge the intake bore then enlarge the weber adapter to match it. I think the Weber adapter stud holes could be tig welded up then redrilled to fit a NOS eBay small base Rochester 2V or a marine version which are available and cheaper than a Weber. I had my head milled .060. I run the cheapest gas. A distributor with a quick advance will give you greatly increased throttle response. I have an HEI.

I think a restrictive Weber adapter could be easily enlarged with a 2 flute wood router bit in a Harbor Freight mini trim router with the base taken off. A 2 flute bit will easily cut aluminum without clogging. The large log intake bore can easily be greatly enlarged with an electric Harbor Freight die grinder with a carbide bit. I wouldn't worry about D5 valve size. Smaller may equal less shrouding. Enlarge the intake bore then enlarge the weber adapter to match it. I think the Weber adapter stud holes could be tig welded up then redrilled to fit a NOS eBay small base Rochester 2V or a marine version which are available and cheaper than a Weber. I had my head milled .060. I run the cheapest gas. A distributor with a quick advance will give you greatly increased throttle response. I have an HEI.
I took the d5 head to the machine shop on Monday for a rebuilt and 2v conversion. I also run a hei distributor, throttle réponse is great !

I also plan to install stiffer valve springs, right now i'm floating at around 4200-4400 rpm.

I already have the Weber and i like it ! I did a few miles this week and the car got 19.8mpg , i was very pleased with that result as i wasnt careful about fuel economy.

Good luck with the 2V conversion. You will like it.
I had my D7 head rebuilt + milled .060.
The machinist must have checked and properly shimmed the original valve springs because I have wound it to around 5.400 rpm without floating the valves. I read that valve springs don't get weaker they just get shorter so you put shims under them.
My valves may not be floating because I have a stock large log 256 cam with only about .369 valve lift.

Good luck with the 2V conversion. You will like it.
I had my D7 head rebuilt + milled .060.
The machinist must have checked and properly shimmed the original valve springs because I have wound it to around 5.400 rpm without floating the valves. I read that valve springs don't get weaker they just get shorter so you put shims under them.
My valves may not be floating because I have a stock large log 256 cam with only about .369 valve lift.
Yeah maybe the valves doesnt float, maybe at 4200 i'm at the maximum flowing capacity of the small log ?

Yeah maybe the valves doesnt float, maybe at 4200 i'm at the maximum flowing capacity of the small log ?
The small log head can flow more CFM than an Autolite 1100 flows. Some people install 3 of them.
You may have an LOM distributor with no centrifugal advance. At 4,200 your venturi vacuum level may be so low that the LOM timing has backed off to the point it runs like a dog. The small log six with a 68+ point distributor can be made to run great.
The intake bore on a small log head can be enlarged to the size of a stock large log intake bore and beveled at the bottom.
The 66 Mustang California emissions 200 ran great.

Last edited:
I took the d5 head to the machine shop on Monday for a rebuilt and 2v conversion. I also run a hei distributor, throttle réponse is great !

I also plan to install stiffer valve springs, right now i'm floating at around 4200-4400 rpm.

I already have the Weber and i like it ! I did a few miles this week and the car got 19.8mpg , i was very pleased with that result as i wasnt careful about fuel economy.
You should round the lower corners on the bottom of the intake bore into the log the carb sets on . This was in some porting info for a Paxton install manual from about 1960 that I got with a Paxton install kit . With the cast iron heads every little bit bound to help. Besides now would be the best time with the head off .

like to hear more. Was it done? Do U still run it (if so)?
Chad I just seen your post . I am still running the Paxton . I had seen a post on one of the Mustang forums where a member had put one on his 200& i was hooked . I purchased a rebuilt Paxton off ebay & the install kit from Paradise Wheels. They actually sell a complete set up that's a reproduction of the kit Paxton offered for the60 model Falcon & Comet small 6 . However the kit does not include any of the braces for the Paxton . My kit included the drive pulley for replaceing the damper, the mounting player bracket with the spring loaded idler pulley on it. A filter a little hose about 30" or so , a 90 degree rubber elbow that attaches to the blower intake & a adaptor that connects the filter to the rubber ell & the big v drive belt .

The install is about as simple as it gets remove a bolt from the tstat houseing use one about 3/4"longer & bolt the plate on . Attach the Paxton to the plate with the ID label at 12 o'clock so the blower oil pump functions correctly . Make 2 brackets , 1 from a moter mount bolt into the block the other off the lower bolt on the timing chain cover . Done, instruction come with info on how to modify a 60's carb& dist to work with the blower it's a copy of what was given when this was sold in 1960.
That info is pretty specific but your kind of on your own with the braces.
My 200 was allready running a 2300 Sniper & a Hyper Spark dist for timing control. I have driven it some but not as much as I would like because work keeps interfering. The power increase is not like the 2300 Sniper was when I put it on the small log head nor like a turbo would be . Not so much in your face but kind of laid back & more subtle.

But let me tell you the car pulls like it has a v8 in it now. On the road the torque output feels great when you step on it . For me one of the best things besides how easy the install was is the fact that 200 loves all that air being jammed down it's throat . So far i have not had to make a single change to any setting on the Sniper. Matter of fact the motor idles & runs better now than before the Paxton .

Over all i love it & the car loves it . If your looking for a blaze of power just go with a turbo because the Paxton ain't it . You want your small six to run better & have a little ass to it the Paxton might do it for you .
If You run a Sniper with timing control for me the Paxton wins hands down over a turbo . Buy the kit bolt it on & done .
Well it's allmoslpt that easy . No it is that easy .

The guy i posted asking how much & where when i seen the video said everything from Paradise Wheels runs $36 to $3700.00 & that's what others have posted . Since i pieced mine together I'm in for about $2600.

For my money it's the best I've spent next to the Sniper set up.
After maybe 4 years I guess the ported Alumn head I purchased from Superford is next on the agenda . Maybe with the cam,yella terra roller rockers& head I might see the more power. If not i'm good .
Maybe this winter when the weather is cooler.

On a side note the Paxton uses Type F trans fluid that is recommened you change every 12/1500 miles I think . It does generate some heat because I have physically felt the houseing & my Sniper handheld had shown yellow on the incoming air temp & it's never did that in 4years . But my air filter is not in that good of a location . Also I just installed a new alum ACP max core radiator along with a Derale fan blade . The blade seems to push the air straight into the air filter . So that's another something to do .

"...You want your small six to run better & have a little ass to it the Paxton might do it for you .
If You run a Sniper with timing control for me the Paxton wins hands down over a turbo ..."
But not in ET, boost, acceleration or anything else? I may (no, I do ) have communications problems.
Can you say that a different way, what does (this) super charger have over the turbo? Thnx~

"...You want your small six to run better & have a little ass to it the Paxton might do it for you .
If You run a Sniper with timing control for me the Paxton wins hands down over a turbo ..."
But not in ET, boost, acceleration or anything else? I may (no, I do ) have communications problems.
Can you say that a different way, what does (this) super charger have over the turbo? Thnx~
The only thing it has over a turbo install is the easy install that does not require a special built exhaust manifold to accomidate the supercharger ,simpley change the damper for the blower drive pulley & bolt it on . And the under hood heat generated by the supercharger dose'nt come close to a turbo .As far far as the power output I think the turbo wins hands down because you can adjust the wastewater & keep upping the boost. output until something breaks .

OK, so the power & ease of instal (no intercooler either I'd assume).
What is the power differential - 50% 80% or... something else (rough estimate is all needed, just ignorant & am a seeker).
I bet cost would B less (if they were available today - since vintage, there's a premium?).
Thnx, hope U enjoy it~
("...adjust the wastewater ..." = 'waste gate'? DUZ have an IC?)

I don't really have any idea about the power increase . For me it's more about the increased torque curve across the board .
& no I don't have an Inter cooler . If I go there it will be after I put the ported Classic Inline head & other top end eng parts on . To get the set up is no problem Paradise wheels sells it for about $3600.00 or so

Back