Wanted Looking for a 7 1/4 Inch Rear Axle Limited Slip or Posi Unit

bubba22349

Top Poster
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
Departed Member
Hi site members, as the title says I am looking for a 7 1/4 Inch Rear Axle Limited Slip or Posi Unit. To use in a 1965 Mustang Rear Axle rebuild. If you have one or can offer any help in locating one it will be appreciated. Thank You

You need to track down the guy from Renton, Washington, or another guy in Indiana who supplies axle parts.
You have to go over the posts from the Ford Forums. Ford used Dana 30 and 35 centers from Eaton/ Spicer, so the supplier is aware of the Axle tag that yeilds the right part interchange.

WCY-AA
2L83/ 3L20 /3L50 / 4L00 has a L suffix in the ratio, and is common to the beam axle Econoline Falcon pickups as well as the Unibody Ford XK based passenger Pickups, Wagons, Sedans in the Fairlane/ Comete/ Falcon/ Ranchero coil over a arm line of vehicles.

WCY-AA, -AF, -AG, -N, or -R

7.25 in ring gear, non-removable carrier, 24 spline axles
-AA, -AG locking
-AF, -N, -R non-locking

Both Wally the Shark, Route--66-- and the Ford Forums guy Bruce ( BJBOZ) got there axle parts from one of those two suppliers.

BJBOZ got his Eaton Cone clutch which fits on the same Corporate Chrysler/ Ford 7.25 inch centre.

Read post #27

"https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/threads/limited-slip-7-25-rear-end.500968/"

"Grave dig I know, and I fear that Bongos444 has moved on but I have just purchased from a gent in Indiana a Equa-lok LSD that came out of a 7.25" Ford diff. It had 2.83 gears.( which I also have) The gent has reco'd it and I will be installing it in a '66 Australian round body. Not going to be pushing a lot of HP.

It will be installed in a 5 lug Ford utility diff ( Ranchero equivalent in the US)

These Equa-loks are rare as hen's teeth so I am fortunate to have purchased it.

cheers

BRuce"

Last edited:
Thank you xctasy, hope I will be able to find one or both of those sources.

I found a couple of Dana 30 10 Pinion Gear Limited Slip and the Lunch Box Lockers for use in a Dana 30. They are for a 3.73 and up gear Ratio and 27 Spline Axels. These Units also have 12 Ring Bolt holding them to the Diff. Ford 7.25's only use 8 bolts for the ring gear.

xctasy, will the dana 30 Gears also fit into the ford 7 1/4 center? Axles could be made custom and could then also maybe use Larger Wheel Bearings and the bigger 10 inch V8 Brakes then. In looking at the later Ford 7.5 Axles supposedly their LDS will also fit in the 7 1/4 inch Housing from your above link they use a 28 Spline Axel like a Ford 8, 9, & 8.8 inch rear uses.

Might be easier to find an early Maverick 8"?
Then you can choose your gear ratio as well...

Back