All Small Six Loadomatic timing.

This relates to all small sixes

Dshak65

Hi All, have a question on the Ford Loadomatic distributor. I have a 65 mustang 200 auto with the autolite 1100 and the loadomatic distributor. I have gone through
the timing procedures and wondering what the max advance timing should be. Set initial timing at 12btdc and engine runs great at idle. When I drive the car I get pinging. In order to stop the pining I need to set the timing close to tdc but then its not running like it should at idle. I tested the vacuum advance and set at 12 initial it will advance to 42degrees at 3k rpm. Seems way to high. The scv is new in the carb. Is a 30 degree increase in vacuum advance too much? I pulled the advance unit and don’t see a way to adjust the max travel. Any thoughts? Thx.

Hi Dshak65, yes from what you are describing it sounds like maybe its timing advance curve is a bit high.
Site member 78_200_C4 posted about 7 different posts with all the info that's needed for tuning the LOD Distributor's a short while back starting with this link here and continuing on. https://fordsix.com/threads/loadomatic-distributors-stick-vs-automatic-info.83538/#post-664942
I will add that you should not have any Pinging at a steady Cruse Speed on flat ground even if it were at 42 Degrees of total Timing. I would set my timing advance so that I got a very light Ping in the SoCal Area (very Warm Weather) with a light throttle position (in High Gear) on a slight climb up a Freeway On Ramp that's usually about the Max the engine can handle before there is a chance of doing engine Damage. Edited with more Info

Last edited:
Hi, the timing by ear method I learned says you should slowly retard the timing until there is no more pinging, then lock the distributor down. I do my pinging test in second gear, going uphill, with the distributor clamp snug, but so I can adjust the timing. Good luck

Hi All, have a question on the Ford Loadomatic distributor. I have a 65 mustang 200 auto with the autolite 1100 and the loadomatic distributor. I have gone through
the timing procedures and wondering what the max advance timing should be. Set initial timing at 12btdc and engine runs great at idle. When I drive the car I get pinging. In order to stop the pining I need to set the timing close to tdc but then its not running like it should at idle. I tested the vacuum advance and set at 12 initial it will advance to 42degrees at 3k rpm. Seems way to high. The scv is new in the carb. Is a 30 degree increase in vacuum advance too much? I pulled the advance unit and don’t see a way to adjust the max travel. Any thoughts? Thx.
Thanks. This is extremely helpful. The pinging was under mild acceleration flat surface. Something with this distributor is definitely not right.

Thanks. This is extremely helpful. The pinging was under mild acceleration flat surface. Something with this distributor is definitely not right.
After reading the pages. The distributor in this car is for a manual transmission while the car is automatic. My has 2 springs no adjustment in the diaphragm. Seems like it is totally wrong for this car.

Hi, don't drive the car if it is pinging. You can damage the engine. Retard the timing until the pinging stops. Then figure out what you should do next. I doubt the distributor is "totally wrong", guys have been swapping these parts for years. Maybe just some fine tuning. You need to get the ignition working 100%, the adjust the carb. Good luck

Junk your loadamatic. Get one of my DS11 distributors which will be recurved for your application. You will need several other componets. Take a look at my DS11's on this forums small ford six parts for sale. Bill contact me at billythedistributorman@live.com

The automatic and stick LOM distributors had different advance curves and initial timing. You may have a stick shift distributor. If so use the stick shift initial timing which I believe is 6 degrees not 12. Take the cap off. If you see 2 springs it's a stick shift dist.

Back