All Small Six Holley repair

This relates to all small sixes

DON

Sooo, I have a Holley 2300 accelerator pump screw that currently has a heli-coil repair in it. The heli- coil has stripped. It is a 12 - 24 threads. It is also a pretty shallow hole. Any opinions on the best way to re-repair? I have some ideas but with all the experience here, I’m sure someone has come across this problem. I would rather not replace the bowl. The carb is zinkchromate plated and afraid it wouldn’t match.
Also the torque specs posted recently did not have specs for the accelerator pump. I would guess 15 to 20 in lbs?
Any thoughts would be appreciated 👍

Typical industry spec's for generic screw grades in #12 (3/16", 12/64) are 21 in-lb dry, 15 in-lb lubricated or with thread locker. Other opinions and spec's are out there, and I doubt I ever hit those numbers when I torque. Snug enough to seal (about 1/2 spec) is about all I do as it uses a gasket, which also avoids warping the cover. That's me, do your thing.

Thread-insert up one size and drill the cover for it? Metric if that's too big? (Hey do what ya gotta do). Use an in·lb torque wrench with stun-shock handle? :sneaky:

Thread-insert up one size and drill the cover for it? Metric if that's too big? (Hey do what ya gotta do). Use an in·lb torque wrench with stun-shock handle? :sneaky:
🤣🤣
You know what I’m talking about!!

Can you turn a plug with the original thread size and insert it in from the backside of the main body?
I'm thinking an insert like used on skateboards.

Try using some Hard as Nails nail polish to glue your helicoil in. Only coat the inside of the hole and outside of the insert only; not to get any on the inside of the insert. Let dry for a day. It sounds like a longshot but just maybe.....

Can you turn a plug with the original thread size and insert it in from the backside of the main body?
I'm thinking an insert like used on skateboards.
Thanks, I don’t have access to a lathe ☹️. But I did think about either using a “ thread zero”. A pop rivet type thing for making threads in sheet metal. Modifying it to work. As well as just a bolt, modifying the head to be low profile and maybe notched to set recessed in the bowl to help keep it from turning, then JB Weld it all in, but I went with a method to keep the bowel integrity/ not drilling through it. I can still go that direction if needed down the road. I went with one size larger. In hindsight, I probably should’ve checked metric sizes. I got a “straight fluke tap” off Amazon. Ground a little off the nose and used it. Went with studs as opposed to screw to get use of full thread strength, topped off with loc nuts

Attachments

• IMG_3588.jpeg
    IMG_3588.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3589.jpeg
    IMG_3589.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Try using some Hard as Nails nail polish to glue your helicoil in. Only coat the inside of the hole and outside of the insert only; not to get any on the inside of the insert. Let dry for a day. It sounds like a longshot but just maybe.....
Sounds like a viable option. I would have tried but I have already moved passed that option. Also have a Parker in- lb torque wrench now. The flex rod type. Too many bad reviews on the click costing less than $100

Back