Garrett T03 for a 200cid

80Stang

Ok,

got fancy about your turbo talks, and as far as i know my otherwise average engine needs more air - where the cam comes in the head chokes.

There is a Garrett T03 out of a Volvo 2.3L engine available. I think the air side is sized 42 and exhaust is 48. That hairdryer comes with a Pierburg pressurised carb with the intake box, I'd get the whole setup pretty cheap.

Would it be good at all for the 200cid? I'm still building with budget and this is a year around daily driver, I'm not reaching for hundreds of HP...

Pros, cons?

Sounds like a pretty good match for a 200. With a stock cam, it will peak ut at 4400 rpm anyway, so a t03 is theoretically not a bad match.

I've got Comp Cams 260H.

I guess my CR pretty is close to 9 but I have an extra E0 head that can be rebuilt and not milled too much.

I think you need to reduce the CR to around 8:1.

The 260 is probably the biggest cam you would want to use with a turbo. It has more overlap and you may want to contact the maker to inquire about whether it would work well as a turbo cam.

I keep looking at the turbo maps and I still think a T03 would be a good turbo for a street car.

Ok, thanks again MustangSix.

I just e-mailed Comp. Waiting for reply.

I have an extra block I thought of building for my car, and for that I'll order a master engine kit from NAP probably. The block needs be overbored, so a full kit makes sense. I thought of ordering the kit with tempo pistons because that would make it easier to build more CR if not going to turbo. I used the calculator, and came up with 8.5 CR with .030 overbore, 0.45 gasket, 61cc chambers and the flattops. If you think that 8.5 CR is absolutely too much for that turbo then I'll go for std pistons.

What makes me willing to build another block is that my car is a fox-body and the engine I did last year is a '68; there is no boss for oil stick and actually I can't measure oil level at the moment. The extra blocks (I have 2) are '80 cast, with everything in place for a rear sump oil pan used in fox-bodies. I also have a byuer here for that rebuilt '68.

BTW, I have found NAP quite flexible as those master kits can be altered; last year they upgraded the master engine kit (about 327USD) with that Comp Cams 260H, totalling about 380USD. Now I asked again with similar cam upgrade plus the pistons changed to 140cid-L4's flattops (I found the Speed Pro product # from this forum somewhere) and they are ready to deliver at less than 400.

Comp replied with their cams won't fit; they said I'd need a cam with 112 degrees lobe sep.

So I asked NAP for the master kit with Crane's 206/280 cam I found in Falcon performance handbook.

Kit with Crane Cams #H206/280-2S-12 about 436USD, with Crane and Sealed Power #489p pistons about 455USD.

I don't think that 100USD for the better bumpstick is worth it, and will those pistons cope with the T03?

im running 8.7:1 compression with my set up. 8:1 sounds conservative for such a small turbo. you prob. wont push over 10psi, so you can afford higher compression. Just make sure that your spark is hot enough, fuel air mix is not lean, and timing is retarded properly.

~scott

That's a small turbo just so you know. It may run out of air for a 200. Remember, it's on a 2.3L. It is a nice turbo, I have one on my Volvo. I would look one size up from that though, or go hybrid t3/t4

Slade

Depends on the trim and on where you want to acheive max boost. A 50 or 60 trimmed T03 is plenty big enough for a 200, a Super 60 is too big. The T03 in the Volvo probably has a smaller trim and a much smaller tubine

correct me if I'm wrong. The turbo is physically the same size, just the aspect ratio of the blades (trim) is different. a higher number means a higher aspect ratio meaning it will move more air and make more boost. Downside is more lag as you increase trim, but generally better then a larger turbo with smaller trim.

Slade

Back