All Small Six Firing order reversed?

This relates to all small sixes
You can also go by the Pan shape and the number of Trans Pan Bolts all of the C4's from 1964 to 1969 basically will use this same Gasket and Filter. And if your Floor Shifter has the P, R, D1, D2, L Gear Pattern than its likely still the Original Dual Range C4 that came with your car. So you could just order a 1966 C4 Pan and Filter Kit, it looks like this one. https://www.cjponyparts.com/transmi...tang-with-c4-transmission-1965-1969/p/FT1027/

The Pan Gaskets stayed the same until end of C4 production in 1981, but the filters are a little different for the newer model valve body's. Good luck. Also note that in the below Attachment on the bottom left side you can see what the Shape of the C4 / C5 Auto Trans Pan Gasket should look like. Edited

Attachments

• Ford Auto Trans ID.gif
    Ford Auto Trans ID.gif
    28.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I got the compression test done. I still can't find a tag on the transmission, but using Bubba's chart, there are 11 bolts, and the pan matches the C4/C5 on the diagram. I also check for play in the timing belt, and it seems to be nice and tight.

1 120
2 115
3 120
4 120
5 122
6 118

The Cranking Compression is fairly even and below a 10% difference so this engine is likely in very good mechanical shape. This Cranking Compression is a bit lower than what the 1965 / 1966 200 engines had and this is only because of the Larger Combustion Chambers of these Large Log Heads, IMOP its their only minor drawback to an otherwise much better performing Head. The CC's on stock untouched Large Log Head's will usually measure in at about 62 CC's. There are two main ways to fix this by doing some milling and attaining a much better performing 200, and it is fairly easy to do. Ideally the very best way is to Zero Deck the Short Block then to Mill the head to reduce the Combustion Chambers to get the engine to a 9.1 to 9.2 to 1 C.R. for Regular Grade Fuel this is roughly a 52 CC Chamber. The other way is to just mill the Head to get to the ideal C.R. you are after.

With your confirmation of the Trans being a C4 then its most likely the original 1966 C4 which is a good trans. It is also possible to make it even better for daily driver use with a couple Mods hopefully its still in good operating condition. Its easy to convert these early C4's into the better Select Shift Type C4 that came out in 1967 this was a very big improvement, if you can find one of the 1967 to 1969 Valve body's to install in your Trans Case, first also install a TransGo Shift Improver Kit and add a Small Aux. Transmission Cooler you will then have a very good performing and longer lasting C4. Edited

The carb I ordered doesn't fit the intake. I'm guessing that a spacer is required that came with the engine originally. Is anyone aware of such a spacer? The spacer Bubba linked earlier doesn't look like it would orient the Autolite 1100 carb properly for the linkage to work. That's the problem I'm having with this new Carter YF clone. Doesn't anyone have any thoughts? I can make one if need be.

Also, will the Autolite work with an HEI distributor?

Happy New Year!

Last edited:
Yes an HEI is a very good upgrade, simple vacuum advance to carb port, single wire to dist, about as simple as it gets....

Thanks. My confusion is due to the SCV. I've read that both the carb and the distributor need to be replaced when upgrading.

Hi Kritas, the spacer I linked for you in my post can really only be used on a Large Log in an Early Car that's using the mechanical Linkage I.E. Falcons, Comets, Mustangs up to 1967. It will position an Autolite 1100 Carb for use with the stock linkage that you have.

Can you post a picture of the trouble your having to bolt it onto the Large Log Carb Mounting? Yes you will need to locate a stock 1971 to 1974 Ford YF Carb to head Spacer so the Carb is turned in the right direction to fit properly, or you could probably also make a simple one too. Also note depending on the year of Carb that you bought the Carb Throttle Arm can be either a Pull or Push Type. Your original was the push type solid linkage so that type are the easiest to make work with the stock Carb linkage, otherwise many will use the Cable type linkage for the Pull Type Carbs. There are only a few years of Carter YY or the RBS models that have that type linkage that can be used with the stock 1965 to 1966 Mustangs as well as the 1967 & 1968 Ford Cars. Yes you can probably make a simple flat plate Carb Adapter for the Carter YF to get it to fit the engine right. Are trying to use the correct Carb Mounting Bolt Pattern to? These would be the 2 Larger Threaded Holes of the Log
carb hole not those that the OP added that are off set some.

The Autolite 1100 will not work as it is with a DuraSpark II or an HEI distributor without first Moding the Carb so that it has only has a Ported Vacuum Source this Mod is called the "Drop A Load". The other way it can be done is to hook it up straight to Manifold Vacuum Source below the Carb either as a Temporary or Premiant Vacuum hook up if you wanted.

That's a big help, Bubba. Let me take a look this morning and see what I can work out.

Got to love working on old cars.... :beer:

Last edited:
I found this old thread outlining the problem. I'll check out the Falcon book that I have. Having had another look at the carb spacer from Vintage Inlines, I do think it'll work if I use the second set of holes on the manifold.

Last edited:
Yes for sure that post has a very good solution by Econoline for those Large Log Head and to use the Late Model Carter Carb to adapting to those pre 1969 Cars and pickup Throttle Linkages.

As an update, I installed an HEI distributor using a relay and made a gasket for the old carb spacer and used it as a temporary fix while waiting for the Vintage Inlines spacer to mount the Autolite 1100 on the big log head. The car fires up immediately and sounds great, even without a muffler. The new Vintage Inlines header and exhaust will be here on Wednesday with the new carb spacer. I discovered that the PO painted over a crusty radiator that has a leak, so I'm ditching that in favor of an aluminum radiator with an electric fan that arrives tomorrow.

The car should be back on the road in a few days. As soon as I have everything installed, I'll tune the carb. The timing is already set. Ya'll were a big help in getting this sorted and pointing me in the right direction!

Back