Extra cooling via electric water pump/radiator...

Mydogisshaggy

I'm curious if anyone thinks this is a decent idea for certain applications, I recently removed my ac system and was looking at all sorts of trans /oil coolers in preparation for maybe going turbo one day. I had a single core OEM radiator in a 93 4.9 f150. Eventually cracked a head at 160k miles.(long story but I believe an *** mechanic sticking a garden hose into it while it was overheating was a bad idea?) Anyway, eventually swapped to a two row radiator and got sick of it (shroud/no room to work, etc) went back to a single row. No real issues at the moment but always looking to improve things. If I used an electric water pump(or even a windshield washer type setup) and put a second radiator in front of the first and ran it separate from the coolant system, how well do you think this would work? Maybe put a fluid heat sink on it I've seen at summit they are pretty common and low cost now.... I'm running through different ideas for electric cooling vs clutch fan and etc. Im under the belief that keeping the oil and coolant as cool and clean as possible will do as much for power gains as swapping parts so exploring some unconventional ideas. Would this be equally as good , worse or better than running two radiators in series with the engine, mainly for space reasons and I figure long term it might be cheaper to run windshield washer fluid or just water most months in the standalone system and it will stay cleaner? Thoughts? Thanks

Could you elaborate what you are trying to cool? It got confusing with oil/trans, series/separate and washer fluid/water in the mix.
The engine radiator but with a separate radiator in the front with a water pump circulating water or coolant/washer fluid . Basically the clutch fan or electric fan will pull the air through the radiator as normal but the separate radiator in front will provide additional cooling? Thanks.

Simple answer is to look at a Davies Craig electric water pump. Made in Australia but sold in the USA. https://daviescraig.com.au/ I have the smaller back up booster units on a couple of my vehicles. I can even run the water pump and flow coolant when the engine is off.

Do you run an electric or clutch fan
Roadster (170 Pursuit) has an Electric motor that drives the mechanical pump and the fan runs off that. The V8 Falcon I have runs a mechanical pump with the back up 25 litre per minute Davies Craig and electric fan. F4 with the 6BT Cummins has a mechanical pump and a small 15 litre per minute Davies Craig Electric pump set up in the heater hose system that moves coolant from the back of the block and an electrical fan.

Edited note: Roadster runs on a manual switch for the fan pump. Falcon has a seperate switch for the fan and pump. F4 has a seperate switch switch for the pump and fans. No thermostat switches.

Last edited:
Back