All Small Six Decking the block while engine is in the car ?

This relates to all small sixes

Ironhorse

I’m replacing the stock head on my ‘66 200 with another head from a ‘65 200. The new head was fully rebuilt a few hundred miles ago so is basically ready to be bolted on. However, my original block is far from fresh and a friend suggested I should try decking it using sand paper (250 grit) and a long flat plate of some sort. Primarily to make sure it’s flat and give some texture to the surface for gasket “grip”. I wondered what you guys thought about that idea. I’m concerned about grit getting in the piston bores and perhaps making the general flatness worse instead of better. How would you recommend I prep the block gasket surface ? Thanks
82613168-8027-40AE-B639-C520BD0E1FF0.jpeg

Hi, years ago we used razor blades and a gasket scraper. Now I use a rolac disc in my die grinder. After there is wiping and cleaning with a shop cloth. Good luck

the carbon buildup on cylinder 2 looks like you were having valve seat issues with the old head. the piston tops look like they are in great shape.

the rolac disc on a die grinder is the method I have used on Flathead engines. haven't broke the head off of my 200, so can't personally vouch for the method, but that's what I was planning on using myself. the only thing I would probably do, that you haven't mentioned, is check the lip at the top of the cylinder.

Back