All Small Six Carb Spacer for Large Log Head

This relates to all small sixes

mwebb

I just installed a large log head on my 1965 mustang with the 200 I6. I also picked up a Carter YFA which I plan to use in place of the Autolite 1100. The large log head has a carburetor bore of 1 3/4" vs. the 1 7/16" of the small log head. So the bore on the carb spacer for the Autolite is about 1/4" too small. I had thought about boring out the original carb spacer, but I'm not sure there's enough metal. And if I mount the Carter YFA directly to the manifold, it will be turned sideways so I'm not sure the throttle linkage will hook up. Are their other options?

Maybe the spacer made for the large log head?
That's the challenge - I can't find the right spacer. The Carter YFA I have doesn't fit the manifold holes, so I guess I either need a different carb or find a way to make a spacer. The cylinder head looks like a 1973 based on the casting number, so I'm assuming it's from a Maverick.

You likely won't find any of the stock large log head carb spacers that will allow you to use your stock throttle linkage on your 1965 Mustang. With the introduction of the large log heads starting in 1969 Ford also went to the cable throttle linkage to deal with how the Carter Carb's fit onto the engine. You could try making your own spacer so that he carb is ordinated correctly to use the existing stock linkage. But also know that most of these later Carter Carb's throttle arms are made to be pulled rather then pushed so they also will be turning differently around the throttle shaft pivot point. The pull cable linkage fitting will need to be moved and re drilled below the pivot point in a different location to be able to push correctly, try to match that location so that it is like what's on your old Autolite 1100, or you can just swap over to a cable throttle linkage which in my OPIN is the best system to use. Best of luck

You likely won't find any of the stock large log head carb spacers that will allow you to use your stock throttle linkage on your 1965 Mustang. With the introduction of the large log heads starting in 1969 Ford also went to the cable throttle linkage to deal with how the Carter Carb's fit onto the engine. You could try making your own spacer so that he carb is ordinated correctly to use the existing stock linkage. But also know that most of these later Carter Carb's throttle arms are made to be pulled rather then pushed so they also will be turning differently around the throttle shaft pivot point. The pull cable linkage fitting will need to be moved and re drilled below the pivot point in a different location to be able to push correctly, try to match that location so that it is like what's on your old Autolite 1100, or you can just swap over to a cable throttle linkage which in my OPIN is the best system to use. Best of luck
Thank you for the info on the cable linkage! Looks like I'm swapping to a cable throttle soon.

I went with the Carter YFA instead of converting the log to a 2bbl because I thought it would be easier to get the car running again and enjoy it. At some point, I plan to rebuild the engine, upgrade the cam, and do the 2bbl switch. For now it's the Carter and DUI setup. I've also been bitten by the inline 6 bug and am now looking for an old Bronco with the 300 I6 - damn they aren't cheap!

65 Mustang is sure nice to have and the Carter is a good carb so hope that all works out. The 66-77 Bronco did not come with the 300 unfortunately, it would have been nice, so you are looking at the 78 and newer models and yep they are way too high. But keep looking.

I had to make my own out of a chunk of phenolic we have at the shop.

Rdr5lg.jpg
l3B38f.jpg

late model cable carb links @ junk yrd are the bomb on these conversions. Grab the gas peddle too.

U will lub the Carter and may not go onto the 2v aahahahaa. I had the YF close to 40 yrs w/o a rebuild (only the ethonol killed it anyway)...
Many put the 240/300 or 4.9 in the bronk. I would have insteada da below but the data wuz telling me it wuz too long'n heavy (nose drop is not in the cards for this one & "too many mods" is ungainly). Lowering and moving back was done w/the 4.1...I should have done the "gasser that's a diesel". Same effort in the end. If there's a "next time" (doubt it, this is my 3rd & "ol man" now too).

Here U R past the break yr ('64) on the dizzy hole bottom/in block, U will use the updated carb (post '67 LOM/SCV feedback system) so can take the DSII (blue strain relief box/brain) along w/coil & dizzy into the modern electronic ignition era. No need for hei msd etc. Many racers use this DSII system and streak into the winner's column even today. Best of all? it looks era correct to any but the most knowledgable.

It's all in "the Handbook":
and U can begin for free at the above tech archive while waiting for delivery:
(ck SCV/LOM espically: https://fordsix.com/ci/Loadomatic.html).

Last edited:
Back