All Small Six Carb choice!

This relates to all small sixes
Same here. Until this latest carb (Holley 390) I've not used a choke on my dailies in decades. A few seconds of "acc pump patting" the gas at cold-start, and drive off. A water choke and hot-air choke are way too slow in this mild climate. The electrics have worked best. Had to convert hot air on a YF to electric on my wife's daily. Use 100% voltage, and the choke is fully unloaded in about one minute. Anything longer = stumbling rich.
It seems that a water choke would be incredibly slow and wasteful of fuel. 0% chance of considering it down here in the south.

Living where you do, anything more than 1-2 minutes of choke is flooding the engine. How long does the water take to heat up? Maybe in the artic- Alabama, no way is water choke going to be quick enough. (Strictly an opinion, based on warm climate experience.)
That was my thought as well. The water choke is an interesting idea, but since the thermostat would have to open (if the heater hose is feeding the choke) before heating the choke element, it seems inefficient. I have an electric choke now and it works well. I was initially intrigued with the idea of using water but became less interested after thinking about it.

Maybe I'll reconsider the water choke also... I would have run the water from the heater hoses, so it would be independent from the themostat opening. Where I live we also get cold weather, but I will drive the Mustang mostly in warm weather.

Where would be the best connection to wire the electric choke?

Maybe I'll reconsider the water choke also... I would have run the water from the heater hoses, so it would be independent from the themostat opening. Where I live we also get cold weather, but I will drive the Mustang mostly in warm weather.

I ran a temporary wire from the solenoid. However, I prefer Chad's method of wiring it to the alternator. It's much more of a direct shot.

It depends on the brand. The factory wire on a '79 f100 is from the alternator and has about 8 volts. Aftermarket E chokes are usually 12V. The factory wire unloaded the choke too slowly on the aftermarket replacement YF carb. The Holley 4V on the '90 f150 and the 1V F100 are both wired to the fuse box on an "ignition-on" circuit. With full 12V both chokes are completely open @ two minutes, and cold drivability is perfect. Morning temps rarely below 40*, but does fine on the 20 or so days per year of sub-freezing temps.
The reason for the alternator wiring is that no current flows to the choke unless the engine is running. Many feel that there should be no choke current if the engine is off/key on, and that is reasonable. Some use an OP switch for this. But how often will one get into the cold vehicle, turn on the key and just sit there? It's never been an issue having the choke powered with the key on "run", I'm going straight to "start" and get moving.

I may B wrong.
I thought all needed a choke, even in the tropics. Ambient temps
ignored. Just the carb (motor) needed "some"?

I may B wrong.
I thought all needed a choke, even in the tropics. Ambient temps
ignored. Just the carb (motor) needed "some"?
Yes the carb needs to deliver more fuel when the parts (particularly the intake) are cold. No choke requires a pump or two- or three, depending on the carb, then crank with the throttle closed. Engine fires, then have to "pat" the gas quickly multiple times (how many depends on how cold it is) to add accelerator pump fuel. The closer the throttle stays to closed the better because it keeps vacuum up, keeps the cold mix vaporized. In 5 seconds or so the engine will stay on without pumps. Run it @ high idle another 10 seconds and drive off. She's a little lean-saggy for a minute, then good-to-go.
A carb with a weak acc pump will be harder to start and keep running. With hot air stove and exhaust heat to intake, after the first 15-30 seconds the choke is unnecessary.

Last edited:
my lill fingers (steps) on the carb linkage take care of all that in coord w/ele choke.
The "1 X gas ped. tap" sets them on the linkage, don't believe it's abt the throttle shot in the boar but am not expert
-got me certificate- "Class II Shade Tree Mechanic" 1 yr after signing up here. B4 that was 50 yrs (from 50 yrs ago) Class I from fiats, alphas, lancias of the 50s & 60s, several slide throttle (Jap motorcycles) carbs of 70s, my 60s/70 dailies the 170 slanty, etc. No experience 1980s - Y2K.

Back