200ci Cam Opinions

This applies only to 200ci
I also agree. The Clay Smith 264/264 110 is a bit rough at idle and was a pain to degree in. 4 degrees doesn't sound like much, but you have to remember that when you break out the timing light. In fact, I had to physically retard the dizzy a bit further than the stock one, which puts the vac advance VERY close to the block.

I would've loved to just tossed a cam in "dot to dot" and moved on.

Another option is the Isky 262 Super Cam. 262 duration-208 @.050 -L/C 109 has .417" lift with a 1.5 rocker arm. Use a 1.65 rocker arm ratio & the lift jumps to .458". Advance it 2 degrees.

Last edited:
Hi pmuller9, what valve springs are used with that above Howard cam and what's the install height?
Most of the time the 200/250 head have a retainer height of 1.650" or less with stock retainer and keepers.
If the max rpm limit is 4500 then a seat pressure of 100 lbs and a spring rate of 300 lbs/in will will work fine.

A Comp 903 spring fits the stock retainers and will yield a 100 lb seat pressure at 1.630" and an open pressure of 223 lbs at .420" valve lift and still be .085" from coil bind.

Another option is the Isky 262 Super Cam. 262 duration-209 @.050 i t has .417" lift with a 1.5 rocker arm. Advance it 2 degrees.
Yes, that has almost identical specs not knowing the .200" duration and would be another option.
I think the actual .050" duration is 208 degrees.

Thank you pmuller9, The build specs been working on are for an early model Bronco with a 170. It's getting a late 200 big bell swap with a 4 speed top loader trans. It has 4:11 axle gears 31 X 10.5 inch tires, will also use the RAU 1.6 ratio adjustable rocker arms too. No off road use only street and hyway fun. We had been considering that new Clay Smith 264 grind and was on order as of yesterday and then I seen this post so got concerned that it might be a bad choice plus they seem to not be able to get any cam cores now for a very long time.

We had been considering that new Clay Smith 264 grind and was on order of of yesterday and then I seen this post so got concerned that it might be a bad choice plus they seem to not be able to get any cam cores now for a very long time.
Did the Clay Smith cam order get cancelled?
The 264 Clay Smith cam has TOO much .050" duration for a 200 six for this application.
Plus I no longer have ANY confidence in a Clay Smith cam.

Yes canceled today it's been holding up the short block rebuild. I am also thinking that way to now, and remember another couple of site members were having trouble with their Clay Smith Cams. It's a shame as they used to be so good in the old days but so was Sig Erson. What cam do you think would be good for this build I orginally told him to call Schindler for a custom grind. He dose want to drive it at today's speeds like 70 to 75 MPH I was thinking with the rear axel gearing it might be pushing it a bit at those speeds.

What can do you think would be good for this build I orginally told him to call Schindler for a custom grind. He dose want to drive it at today's speeds like 70 to 75 MPH I was think with the rear axel gearing might be pushing it a bit at those speeds.
No custom grind needed If he can get the Howards 280028-08 cam and lifters.
The Isky 321266 cam will also work if he has problems getting the Howards cam.

Last edited:
Ok I will tell him to look for those two and see if they are available anywhere. Thank you.

how bout even lower: 800 - 15 or 2,500?
(sorry, this would B the 250, off rd, RBS carb, 5 speed w/4:1 as 1st and 411 rear, 33 inch tire, OD top gear) oh - a 2.46 x-fer gear
I'm saying my rig in the sig below...Guy never would let me tell him what I wanted ( "I'm not gunna do that !" ). May B I should just geta wildly low x-fer case as w/a monster cam I could not drive on the expressway? Yeah, this is nother thread, pardon...

Great thread - thanks for the information as it's been quite helpful.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my 200ci inline 6 and looking to upsize the cam and install new lifters. My purpose of the rebuild is to use the Mustang as a daily driver, but gain some hp to meet today's driving standards. To gain some low end torque (1,000 - 4,000 RPM range), I was originally looking at the Comp Cam 260 with 110 LSA or the Clay Smith Cam 264/110. After reading through the thread I'll scratch the Clay Smith Cam and look to Schneider instead.

My question is related to the valvetrain itself. It looks like the stock lobe lift was .232 generating a valve lift of .348. (I have the stock non-adjustable rocker arm 1.5x assembly.) If I swap cams the valve lift goes to ~.42-.44. With the increase in lobe lift to get the valve lift increase, do I need to change other parts of the valvetrain? I was planning to upsize the valve springs, but do I need to change anything else; like pushrod size or move to an adjustable rocker arm assembly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - Thanks!

"...Yeah, this is nother thread, pardon..."
advice 2 U as well.
Suggestion:
Start a new thread.
This way U will get a fuller (my last name) publication of ur Q.
For more eyes~

Ask what U really need/want. Not the answ already embedded in the post.
What is ur full intended APPLICATION in some (not major) detail?

Last edited:
I agree with NOT using a Clay Smith cam. I have my own reasons.

The Howards 280028-08 is a great low to midrange torque cam especially for a low compression engine.
It's a 263/263, 209/209 on a 108 LSA so it will have some low rpm lope.
.420" valve lift with a 1.5 ratio rocker.
Since headers will be used it will take advantage of the overlap and produce some really good mid range torque.

Howards cams and lifters have excellent quality.

Would the Howards 280028-08 cam also work with an automatic transmission (C4) and 2.89 differential gears?
Or would 3.20 gears be better?

Back