Another Turbo 200 nears completion....

Status
Not open for further replies.
either way good job!!!

this has me thinking about trying to blow through my 1100 instead of doing a holley swap (thinking of holding out for a argie head)

I have a pressure gauge that measures hat pressure only, and another gauge that measures boost/vac.

So far, the gauges have been climbing at the same rate, but at higher pressures the carb may act as a restriction - we'll see.

If you are interested in trying a Holley model 1946 carb (1982 Mustang) and bonnet, you are welcome to this set-up when I am done.

Glad to hear you've had some success with it!
Sounds like you've got a fuel pressure problem. Did you boost reference the pump? At 4lbs. of boost you'll only be getting about 1.5-2psi of fuel pressure at the carb. Not enough!
Other than that....nice job!
Will

5 gallon cell in spare tire hole, fuel goes from cell to Holley "red" pump, (maximum pressure is 7 PSI) http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/P ... 801-1.html
Then fuel goes from holley pump to factory fuel pump, (boost referenced) then to carb.

I put pressure to the factory fuel pump vent hole with a rubber tipped blowgun hooked to a regulated source. It started to leak from the "arm hole" right away, to my disappointment. I figured it was already junk, so I kept turning up the pressure to see where it would "pop" at.
I went all the way to 30 psi, and while it continued to leak air it never got any worse. I figure that is good enough, so I drilled the vent hole a little larger and epoxied a tube in place for the boost reference.

I need to cut the steel "pump to carb" line and splice in a "T" to see what my fuel presure is actually doing...

Does10s":16snssls said:
Glad to hear you've had some success with it!

Those are strong words.... :( The first time I got into it, it built boost and was missing a bunch, then cleared up and pulled strong when the hat pressure went to "zero".

A coupling blew off that I hadn't tightened enough!! I thought for a second that I had success...NOT.
I reclamped the coupler then drove back, it didn't blow off but boost made it run worse than no boost.

If you'd like some advice.....
Get rid of the mech. fuel pump. Just use a good electric pump capable of up to 30psi or so. Our's is a cheap Carter Inline EFI pump. It cost like $75. Also get the Mallory 4309 pressure regulator. This regulator is only suppose to be able to control up to 12psi but we've had it way up to 28psi without any problems. Everybody I know of that's using a blow-though carb is running this regulator. You will have to run two fuel lines (one feed, one return) but it works great!
That carb may also be giving you fits. I don't have any experience with it in a boosted application but I know that the Holley 2 and 4bbls have a proven track record using a blow-through setup. And I'm all for not reinventing the wheel.
Keep trying! You'll get there!
Later,
Will

Does10s":3cdeus23 said:
Get rid of the mech. fuel pump.......That carb may also be giving you fits.

I am not a person who is looking for immediate fixes or overnight successes.
I do all this in the name of fun and to satisfy my curiousity.

I will only eliminate a component after I have exhausted all angles and concluded it will not work. That's the whole name of the game for me, anyways.

I could duplicate your set-up and experience immediate success, but that would spoil all the fun for me!

Man............68 hours of being at work later (5 - 12's plus another 8 today),

Late Sat night/Early Sun morning is finally here, and I have some free time to "myself".

I can get my fuel pressure gauge installed tonight. I will also try to get all my alcohol injection stuff installed tonight (Hope to be done by 4 AM)

Removed number "299" main jet....looked surprisingly similar to a regular Holley jet (holley 1946 carb, makes sense??)

Joy-O-Joy, it is the same size as a regular Holley jet!
A #52 drill bit fits the "299" jet perfectly, as does a regular number 64 Holley jet. I selected a #71 jet to replace the stock "299" jet. We'll see how that does.

Stock pwer valve orifice is a #37. I drilled it out to a #34.

Fuel pressure gage is plumbed.....It is 2:34 AM and it is time to go to bed.

More to come.

WHOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!! OhmyGodOhmyGodOhmyGod......6 cylinder 200's aren't supposed to MOVE like THIS!! 20 PSI is a RUSH!!!!!!!

You are right, Will.....As soon as it cools down the wastegate goes on.

I watched to make sure I never went over 20 psi.....But you have to watch close 'cause it comes fast...This thing starts to boost like crazy right after 6 psi......with 3.73 gears and 10" slicks you just HOLD ON!

I was hoping for something comparable to a 302, and I DEFINITELY GOT IT.

It feels about as strong as the first 351W I built for the car a few years back.

Man, I haven't even really started to tune it yet. Fuel pressure hovers around 7 psi but goes right off the chart when under boost. I have a 25 psi gauge for fuel pressure and it maxed it out in no time.

This is all on 100LL avgas.

Now I need to hook up the vacuum line to the trans modulator, with a check valve and bleed orifice,
because driving it the way it is shifting is not fun.
I may have to accelerate plans to drop in a full manual C4 trans I have.

I also have a spare Tremec 3550 laying around, a little "overkill" but I don't have a T-5 to swap in. ;)

I need to see if a machinist friend of mine is home today, so I can make a spacer for the wastegate cover to drop boost when runnning 93 octane. I'll install a manual boost controller for when on the good stuff.

The combo feels REALLY good. I will probably have to drop $300 on a wide band O2 to really see where I am at, and to get the tune nailed down (I am a perfectionist about these things) but for now, with the 71 jet and drilled PV the little 1946 Holley is doing REALLY well.

........And this is just "Version 1.0"!!

Version 2 is in the works, with forged pistons, a ported head, ported log opened up to 2 bbl, 274 cam, maybe even a tubular Schedule 10 pipe header, we'll see.

MAN you guys need to get a step by step on how to do this!!!

i never really was too interested in putting a turbo on the motor i have now i was going to wait till later but now i REALLY want to do it

every one that has done this needs to compile a list of EVERYTHING that is needed and the prices, then do a step by step with pictures so people like me that have NO idea what is involved or how much time and money it takes can do this

BergerFromage":ia91idy8 said:
every one that has done this needs to compile a list of EVERYTHING that is needed and the prices,

I started with a chassis already set up for drags, with welded torque boxes, 31-spline axles in a 8.8" Trac-Loc rear from an F-150. Lakewood Pro traction bars.

I am at an advantage running a Fox, There is so much out there to make these cars hook up hard and go fast.....You will need to pull some rabbits out of your hat to make your chassis hook up or the tires will just spin when boost comes on.

Other than that, my engine is stock, stock, stock stock. Stock '82 year model Holley 1946 1-bbl carb, modified for blow-through and re-jetted.

I did elect to go with a Front mount intercooler, because just playing with the car running and my hand over the compressor outlet, the air coming out was WAAY hotter than I expected it to be (when air is compressed it heats up) I didn't want to pump all that hot air straight into the carb.

Turbo is a Garrett brand (AiResearch) that is an ACTUAL Garrett brand turbo that I bought on ebay, not some Chinese "Super T-70" junk that ssautochrome sells. It is S-3 Trim compressor, with "O" trim exhaust and .68 A/R turbine housing.

I used this guide:

113_0312_turbo_15_z.jpg

from this article:

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engi ... 312_turbo/

and was LUCKY to find just that on ebay, for $275, brand new in the Garret box.

You need to read the forums on this site for THREE MONTHS before posting any questions:

http://www.turbomustangs.com/

There is so much info there, it is staggering. A lot of it is hardcore, so stay in the shadows - - look, watch, listen, and learn - and SEARCH before posting new questions.

http://www.turbomustangs.com/turbofaq.php

Also, a long time ago I bought the "Turbochargers" book from Hugh MacInnes.

0895861356.01._PIdp-schmooS,TopRight,7,-26_PE32_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Knowledge is power...and doing your homework ahead of time will help tremendously. An ounce of prevention is wrth a pound of cure.

Wastegate:

wastegate.jpg

It was the only place I could put it and not hit anything.....not too bad for a few hours work. Nice to have a TIG welder.

It is all together.....wastegate on and hooked up......"only" see 8 psi now..... :cry:

Time to build a manual boost controller!!!!

boostcont.jpg

I gotta tell y'all.......that 20 psi RUSH was very addicting!!!!!!

It still HAULS A** with only 8 psi, but I am very greedy and wanting to see what this thing can do.

I think I will get a wideband before I go to 20 psi again,, though. Curious as to what my A/F ratio is.

STOP

your about to make me spend A LOT of money that i don't have on my spare engine

but keep telling me more :D i want to be able to duplicate one of the setups when my time comes[/b]

BergerFromage":jvrrda1c said:

but keep telling me more :D

What would you like to know? :unsure::

I think I'll work on wiring tomorrow. It's kind of cobbled together right now.

I might also drain the 100LL and try just plain 93 with 8 psi and see how that does. I spent $24.50 for 7 gallons of 100LL, I'll save it for when I turn the boost up more, and when I take it out for some 1/4 mile times. I am curious to see if I get any detonation on 93 at 8 psi.

i don't know what i want to know, i don't know anything about turbo's or superchargers but i think i might be learning sometime soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back