Alternative to Loadomatic Distributor-Carburetor

tiim5

Subscriber
I have a 51’ F3 with 226, I’d like to find alternatives to the stock loadomatic distributor and carburetor combination. I’ve read some articles about just swapping out the carb for a newer model but I am interested in a new distributor swap that might create greater carb switch selection possible. Are there folks who can do a distributor rework on the stock distributor? Has anyone done this or found a successful work around?
Not a hot rod at all though I do have a set of Red’s Headers installed.
Thanks for your insight.

There is not much you can do with the old Load O Matic especially if your also staying with the stock 6 Volt System. There have been many that have swapped in one of several better Distributor's into the 226 Or 254 Flathead Six's and it's not to hard of a job to do. Many can be used with the 6 Volt System and their are others that will also work for a 12 Volt System. There is also a site member that will do a recurve of these Distributor's too. You can find all the details of these Flathead Six Distributor's Swaps in this Older Post, best of luck. https://fordsix.com/threads/new-distributor-for-254-flatty.77771/

Thanks Bubba, I have converted to 12 volt.
Thanks for the link
Interesting posts and information.
what carb would be recommended when switching to 12 v mechanical advance dizzy?
im assuming the stock load o magic carb will be incompatible?

Well there are a couple Carb's that can be converted over to a ported type from the SCV, as well as some new Carbs that are good choices. Do you want to stay with a 1V Carb or convert to a 2V or do you want to go to Multiple Carbs like 2 X 1V's?

I’ve interest in the multiple setup but haven’t seen a manifold so open to other options

There were Edmunds, Fenton, Nicson, and a few other intakes that were made in both 2 and 3 Carb Versions for the 226's & 254's back in the day sometimes you can still find them, see below attachments of a few pictures of them installed. The three carb setup on the 254 has three of the stock 226 carbs, and the dual setup 254 Six has two Zeniths. The last one is a 226 it has a pair of Holley 1904's on a Dual Intake and a Rare Knudsen finned Aluminum Head, the finned air cleaners are from a company called Vintage Speed. There are still some Thickstun style 2 barrel adapters made to adapt the Strombreg 97, 94, and others sizes (These are also being made new https://www.stromberg-97.com/) and Ford used the Holley's which also uses this same 3 Bolt Carb Mounting. https://www.jackhammerspeedshop.com...un-carburettor-adapter-stromberg-97-holley-94. You could also make your own Dual Intake out of the stock one with a pair of exhaust flanges welded on, some straight tubing for risers, and a hole saw, or you also use some Round or Square Steel Tubing to make a new Manifold.

There is also these new versions of the Holley 1904 / 1908 Carbs that are quite good. Several site members have used them with good results as well as other copies of them under another brand that was also very good. https://www.carburetor-parts.com/new-1904-carburetor-n1904

Attachments

• 1950's Ford 254 Flathead Six with 3 X 1V Carb Set Up 1.jpg
    1950's Ford 254 Flathead Six with 3 X 1V Carb Set Up 1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 1950's Ford 254 Flathead Six with 3 X 1V Carb Set Up 2.jpg
    1950's Ford 254 Flathead Six with 3 X 1V Carb Set Up 2.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 1950's Ford 254 Flathead Six with 2 X 1V Carb Set Up 1.jpg
    1950's Ford 254 Flathead Six with 2 X 1V Carb Set Up 1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 1950's Ford 254 Flathead Six with 2 X 1V Carb Set Up 2.jpg
    1950's Ford 254 Flathead Six with 2 X 1V Carb Set Up 2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 1951 Ford 226 2 X Holley Carb's Knundsen finned Aluminum Head Split Eshaust Manifold.jpg
    1951 Ford 226 2 X Holley Carb's Knundsen finned Aluminum Head Split Eshaust Manifold.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 11
fantastic pic.
Did U just come from a wonderful AZ show (saw some dates w/the pic) somewhere?

Love to see more of the '51 ford w/the 2 1904s. I claim the merican "classics" end about this era, around
the shoe box ford's demise + a lill (back to mid/late '30s). Sorry, I'm off point (but smilin broadly/eyes popin)~

Back