Advice on 4.0L OHC ECM???

Can the stock ECM handle a little help in the air flow department?? I'm only talking about 7-10psi intercooled. If not would the XR6 ECM help as this makes a standard 4.0L run a touch rich. Only thing I'm worried about is ignition retard?

Can the stock ECM handle a little help in the air flow department?? I'm only talking about 7-10psi intercooled. If not would the XR6 ECM help as this makes a standard 4.0L run a touch rich. Only thing I'm worried about is ignition retard?

In a word, no, not easily. But people have been fooling around with port EFi and turbo boost since the Caddilac Seville was around.

The 1987 Bank Fire 4.9 EFi F150 and the OHC "4.0 litre" Australian or Intech computers aren't the same. They are called EECIV, but the Australian version ( used in 4.1 port EFi OHV, 3.9 OHC MPI Multi, as well as three versions of 4.0....it has a different fault code and transmission pinouts sequence to the US 4.9 EFi big six. Ford decided to use Synchronous Bank Fire, every second cylinder injector batch fired.

The US market also had imported Cologne V6 4.0 SOHC engines that used essentially the same EECV computer as the Sequential Injection 94-96 model year 4.9 liter engines.

If you are adding turbo or supercharger boost on a 4.9 EFi truck for 87, there are some big, but not insurmountable problems...

1. The stock injectors and heat soak, and Ford's factory crutch was to eventually fit a Squirrel 🐿️ blower fan to ensure the injectors didn't heat soak.
2. There is a known detonation issue that some 4.9s suffer,

3. Ford's 66-94 model year piston quality was never improved much form the early 300 days, so any 87-94 is a real risk piston skirt wise. ( It's a problem with all OHV in line sixes, not just 4.9s. If you wanted safe 5800 rpm use, Ford had other engine options)
4. The universal Hi- Lo electric fuel pump system, primarily an 83- 87 Australian
Falcon/ Fairmont Wagon and US F 150/250/350 Pickup and early 84.5 to 85 Fox Body CFi style system. That could have you scratching your head on how to make sure the pumps prime and maintain a boost stable injector pressure. Sometimes, you might have three pumps if you've a got a extra fuel tank.

Keeping everything as stock as possible, I say the easiest way to maintain your stock factory computer and emissions legal systems, is to buy an FMU Fuel Management Unit, and spike fuel delivery pressure under boost conditions so that it uses the stock Pinouts and logic.

Wide open throttle is open loop, and it's easier to swap the stock injectors for another slightly higher pound per hour spec, and then adjust the fuel pressures accordingly. The sources for FMUs, and the modifications you do, you have to get specific advice.

The Australian 4.0 in line uses a different ignition system to the American EFi Big Six. Similar, but not the same.

You can do "anything" with "anything" in the 87 to 94 EECIV Fords, everything is permissable if you know the box code variants. But not everything is economically beneficial.

Last edited:
Back