200ci '68 200 Loud intermittent ticking

This applies only to 200ci
This video was taken from under the oil pan a few minutes after cold starting the engine.
The ticking fades in and then stops, repeating until the engine is up to temp. Each tick seems to cause a slight pop from the exhaust.

when did it start? what R last few things done to it?, how many mi on this motor? more info PLEZ !
Remote diagnosis are hard enuff. Will U B working on this or utilizing some1 else?

Sounds like top end. I put hand on &/or use 'stethscope' (actual or long s.driver, pry bar to ear - to locate. B Very Careful around rotating assemblies as U may geta kick to long remember) to get exact location. Could this noise have steadily increased over a long period? (valve train wear out / normal). Is this a car that was just started after a long nap? Detail~

The problem has appeared gradually over the past few years, happens when the weather is cold and the car sits overnight or longer. Mileage is at least 100k. I haven't done anything related to the motor internals except change the oil, but I will be working on it myself. Have felt around with my hand and tried to use ball joint fork as a stethoscope, it didn't tell me much.

forgot most the post info: Start it @ nite, look under hood. I bet U meet Mr Sparky dwn there (lights flashing all over the wiring). Warm day moisture comes up, colder later, condenses... at start time it's there waiting. May B not, but 1 guess. Deterioration of insulation over time? over this time period U mention? No, I'm way off. Just wishful thinkin~
Set timing for an experiment, change oil, put in 10W40 or 50. (I use rotella T4 -white bottle- as it has the flat tappet needs).
Later we can talk abt cking 2 C if oil is flowing thu top end as it should, lifters, etc...
Like it when others pipe in, lets see~

Last edited:
Sure you didnt fit a diesel to it? Sounds pretty bad, like rod piston noise, and some lifter noise as well. Can you get the sump off in the car? Check oil pressure with a gauge.

Sure you didnt fit a diesel to it? Sounds pretty bad, like rod piston noise, and some lifter noise as well. Can you get the sump off in the car? Check oil pressure with a gauge.
Oil pressure is between 35 and 50 psi depending on temp and rpm. Has always made the same clattering noise as long as I've owned it, so it's just the ticking that's worrying me. You think it could be rod knock? Sounds too high pitched and infrequent to me, but I'm no expert.

What brand oil filter are you using? Noise on first start could be a defective drain back valve in oil filter?
Pull the valve cover off & check for a broken valve spring? Start engine & see if all the valves are all opening the same. Possible camshaft starting to wear?

forgot most the post info: Start it @ nite, look under hood. I bet U meet Mr Sparky dwn there (lights flashing all over the wiring). Warm day moisture comes up, colder later, condenses... at start time it's there waiting. May B not, but 1 guess. Deterioration of insulation over time? over this time period U mention? No, I'm way off. Just wishful thinkin~
Set timing for an experiment, change oil, put in 10W40 or 50. (I use rotella T4 -white bottle- as it has the flat tappet needs).
Later we can talk abt cking 2 C if oil is flowing thu top end as it should, lifters, etc...
Like it when others pipe in, lets see~
Seems like Mr. Sparky isn't the culprit unfortunately. How would I check for proper oil flow in the top end?

Take valve cover off and start it up, oil should be running down each push rod after a short moment. Oil should mist all over so plan for that.

oil should be running down each push rod after a short moment.

kinda' unsettling when I've done that it can take a seemingly long time for oil to finally reach rockers if engine sits for a while.
the '63 with Maverick 170 ticks when first started cold , less if started briefly then shut off - wait 10 seconds and restart - no ticking ...?

the '63 with Maverick 170 ticks when first started cold , less if started briefly then shut off - wait 10 seconds and restart - no ticking ...?
What's happening there is the residual oil pressure keeps pumping the lifters up while they are still and it's not being squeezed. Cold engine, OP takes as much as several seconds to drop to 0. I use this trick several times daily on a 300 with tired lifters. Sounds fine for the first minute then one or more lifters will tick. Clutch in, key off till OP drops near 0, let clutch out- totally quiet every time. Try watching OP gauge- soon as it's back to 0, re-fire. Any waiting past that is not doing anything.

several answ w/"pull VC, C if oil is on its proper path."
If concerned RE: spray... have 2 'cardboards' either side of motor. Start car & go to open hood,
move them into a valley shape, the "V" being either side of the valve train, resting hands free
just inside where the VC gasket is (ie into the engine internal itself. Place cardboard holder-uppers
in place if needed to allow freedom of movement to observe w/light if needed. ? Report back ?

Back