All Small Six 250 inline 6 swap for 302 72 mustang

This relates to all small sixes
Hey Everyone! New to the forum . I own a 1972 Mustang with inline six 250, I am currently rebuilding a 302 out of an 86 Thunderbird not fuel injected. I also have the Aod transmission that came with motor . Wondering if I should swap out both or will motor mount to the transmission that’s in the car now . Also anyone know what motor mounts i will need or if anyone has done this before? Thanks in advance any info is a help !

Kind of an unusual question to ask in a site that is deacated to Ford sixes. But here goes a 250 six and a 302 V8 share the same bell housing bolt pattern so yes you could use either trans. An AOD is a good choice in that it gives you an overdrive for freeway higher speed cruising, plus better fuel economy, and a longer lasting engine. The stock C4 if thats whats in your Mustang is also a great trans otherwise and can be modded too. That is as long as you use the right flex plate ring gear tooth count for the bell housing size your using. Ie usually a 157 tooth for most small and mid size cars such as a Mustang or the 164 for the larger model cars and trucks. The flex plate and crankshaft Dampner also needs to be of the right imbalance weight for the year engine being used for example all years of 250 six’s use a zero imbalance flex plate, all stock 260, 289, 351 W's and C's SBF V8's plus the 302 & 5.0's V8's built up until 1980 will use a 28 oz. imbalance flex plate and then in 1981 up 302 / 5.0 V8's started to use a 50 oz. imbalance flex plate & Crankshaft a Dampner.

Also to best of my knowledge all AOD's used the 164 tooth flex plate, the AOD trans would also likely need the transmission crossmember modded or slide back to fit the transmissions rear mount position, as well as the drive shaft being shortened. You need the the correct 1972 Mustang 302 V8 frame and engine insulators. If you do this swap i ask that you save the 250 mounts and other parts and list them in the sale section of the forum, that way atleast the 250 six parts can help a site members car to get back together again. Good luck Edited for some corrections.

Last edited:
Kind of an unusual question to ask in a site that is deacated to Ford sixes. But here goes a 250 six and a 302 V8 share the same bell housing bolt pattern so yes you could use either trans. An AOD is a good choice in that it gives you an overdrive for freeway higher speed cruising, plus better fuel economy, and a longer lasting engine. The stock C4 if thats whats in your Mustang is also a great trans otherwise and can be modded too. That is as long as you use the right flex plate ring gear tooth count for the bell housing size your using. Ie usually a 157 tooth for most small and mid size cars such as a Mustang or the 164 for the larger model cars and trucks. The flex plate and crankshaft Dampner also needs to be of the right imbalance weight for the year engine being used for example all years of 250 six’s use a zero imbalance flex plate, all stock 260, 289, 351 W's and C's SBF V8's plus the 302 & 5.0's V8's built up until 1980 will use a 28 oz. imbalance flex plate and then in 1981 up 302 / 5.0 V8's started to use a 50 oz. imbalance flex plate & Crankshaft a Dampener.

Also to best of my knowledge all AOD's used the 164 tooth flex plate, the AOD trans would also likely need the transmission crossmember modded or slide back to fit the transmissions rear mount position, as well as the drive shaft being shortened. You need the the correct 1972 Mustang 302 V8 frame and engine insulators. If you do this swap i ask that you save the 250 mounts and other parts and list them in the sale section of the forum, that way atleast the 250 six parts can help a site members car to get back together again. Good luck Edited for some corrections.

The inline six is a great motor and never be sold lol I have a 69 falcon that I am planing on putting it in. Thanks for your help ! Really appreciate it .

Back