223 Upgraded Distributor

alwayslearnin

I am looking for some advice on upgrading the factory distributor on my 1959 223 truck engine. I'm looking for advice on whether it's better and/or possible to just switch the oil pump to a 1964 version vs getting parts machined to fit. I'd like to run the Progression Ignition small cap distributor for the 170/250 and I'm looking for the best way to do so. Would appreciate anyone's experience with this. Thanks.

I think you need to run a distributor from a 240 or a 300 cubic inch engine. As far as I know they are a direct interchange with the 223/262 except for the gear and the oil pump drive. If your pickup has the original front suspension it's pretty easy to remove the oil pan and change out the oil pump to the later version with the 5/16" drive. I don't know the condition of your engine but if it is anything resembling original, a new oil pump would probably be good maintenance.

Lou Manglass

The engine is getting a new pump, just want to make sure the 64 pump would be a direct replacement. Didn't know if the pickup tube/oil pan are the same.

Hi alwayslernin and welcome to the Ford Six forum! X2 Lou Maglass hit the nail on the head, the 170 to 250 small Ford Six distributors are the wrong size dimensions to be able to fit it in the 223 / 262 Ford Six. I am curious why you ever thought that the small Ford Six distributors would work? But it's all good a 240 / 300 six Progression Ignition will be much easier to fit and work with in your 223. I have a build post that shows what all the oil pumps look like, I didn't get into the oil pans and oil pump pickup tubes as yet but I don't think you will have any trouble using the 1964 oil pump. There are also several posts in this forum detailing using a 240 or 300 six point distribitor in the 223 six, the principals will be the same for a DuraSpark II or the new Progression Ignition electronic distribitor systems. Best of luck Edited

Last edited:
Hi alwayslernin and welcome to the Ford Six forum! X2 Lou Maglass hit the nail on the head, the 170 to 250 small Ford Six distributors are the wrong size dimensions to be able to fit it in the 223 / 262 Ford Six. I an curious why you ever thought that the small Ford Six distributors would? But it's all good a 240 / 300 six Progression ignition will be much easier to fit and work. I have a build post that shows what all the oil pumps look like I didn't get to the oil pans yet back don't think you will have any trouble using the 1964 oil pump. There are also several posts detailing using a 240 or 300 six point distribitor in the 223 six the principals will be the same for a DuraSpark II or the new Progression Ignition. Best of luck
Thank you. I knew I needed a distributor from a 300 but happened to be looking at the other distributor while posting. NOS pumps seem plentiful which is nice. Appreciate it.

If you do this conversion the distributor will need yo have the advance recurved. There is a member here that does this. I have his contact info if your interested.

Back