223 ROCKERS NOT OILING

So last summer I rebuilt a 1957 223 and I knew before doing so that there was a problem with these not oiling the rockers so I was extra careful & I am positive that my cam bearings are installed correctly. I Know initially they were oiling & I have been driving this on the weekends weather permitting since last fall with no problems.

Last weekend I took it to a local bicycle cruise & I noticed a rocker tic so I pulled the cover and discovered that the rockers were not oiling so I poured oil on them drove the 2.4 miles home, I know that oil does not flow to the rockers unless the engine is running (cam spinning) so I pulled the supply tube & had the wife start the engine, no oil coming from the port but I can see the cam spinning & the tube is clean. I am at a loss as to why it would just stop oiling. The car runs perfect has 40psi hot oil pressure at idle & no noises so I am confident that I have not spun the main or cam bearing, I have added a champ #204 external oiler ( works like a champ lol) so I can continue to drive the car this summer & plan to pull the engine this winter. I am wondering if anyone has experienced this particular issue and what the cause was. Thanks!!!!!!

P.S. the champ kit tells you to cut the oil supply line & crimp it to stop the oil flow, I did not do this as these tubes are hard to come by, I just left it out since it isn't oiling anyway I don't anticipate an issue, has anyone done that??? ANY INSITE IS MUCH APPRECIATED.

Attachments

• 20211004_193257.jpg
    20211004_193257.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
This was a common problem on these 215 & 223 as well as the Y Block V8's of the same era, mostly back then it was caused by the High Ash Content Oils that gave you an excessive sludge buildup. If you built your engine a short time ago I am sure that you made sure everything was very clean inside of the Oil passages and the Rocker Arm Shaft too. Did you use the better Cam Bearings have any Oil Groves? There were also some improvements made to the later camshafts to help them with the top end Oiling. Also below is an Oil Flow Diagram for the early 223 Engines. Stock the Rocker Arms didn't receive full Engine Oil Pressure there is a Mod that was done mostly to the Y Block V8's to give them full Oil Pressure to the Rocker Arms, did you happen to do that during your rebuild?

Attachments

• Early 223 Ford Six Oil Flow Diagram.jpeg
    Early 223 Ford Six Oil Flow Diagram.jpeg
    447.1 KB · Views: 13
Thanks for your reply, this engine was spotless I spent a lot of time cleaning EVERYTHING. The #3 cam bearing did not have an oil "groove" but the hole that leads to the top was camphered to act as a shovel if you will, to help force oil up the hole. I was aware that these oiled under reduced pressure but no one seems to know how reduced it is, I was unaware of the "trick" . As I said this runs perfect so I'm going to run with the champ oiler till fall & then dig back into it. I really have no clue why it would stop oiling. I asked my 97 y/o father who worked as a Ford mechanic from the late 40's till 83 what he thought, he said he remembers the oiling problem & the aftermarket solution but didn't remember why they stopped oiling. When I figure it out I'll post again. Thanks!

Sometimes the cam bearings will gall and plug the hole. I've also heard that they will spin on occasion. But, I can't verify that as it seems unlikely.

Back