All Small Six 200 ci Top End Upgrade

This relates to all small sixes
I've often wondered (very dangerous) make a home made 250 2v. Do a logectomy, a little porting, weld a 3/8" gasket matched steel plate to the cleaned up head and use a factory 250 2v 2bl intake.
How close is the port spacing between a log head and a 250 2v??
This has also been my plan for a number of years. It should be very close and doable, If you study the Australian 250 2V Heads Intake Port layout and compare them to the US Logs Intake they seem to be very close on the intake ports especially on the 1968 and older Log Heads as the Port Shape matches more closely to the Austrian and the C.I. / V.I. aluminum Head Intakes. The Exhaust port spacing is exactly the same for all the Log Heads as well as the Australian 2V Heads and I think also the Brazilian Heads. as a side note the first Logectomy's were done some time in late 1959 or early 1960, to some of the Ford 144 Small Six engines used in certain racing classes after their logs were cut off they were fitted with Hillborn Mechanical Fuel Injection set up.

Very impressive.
What did you use to weld to the cast iron head?

ie: 90% nickel rods?

Very impressive.
What did you use to weld to the cast iron head?

ie: 90% nickel rods?
Yes. Nickel rod.
The cast iron needs to be heated in a furnace to achieve nearly 1000 deg f. Then will need to be cooled down slowly after welding to avoid cracking. Steel and cast have similar expansion coefficients, but the cast will expand and contract at lower stress when at this high temp, otherwise high stress is induced and will be much more prone to cracking the cast iron.

Very cool head, I did a mill'd off log head project a few years ago. The time invested in completing one is hundreds of hours, kind of why so very few get completed. Yours looks better than mine

Back