All Small Six 200 ci Top End Upgrade

This relates to all small sixes

sams68

Ive been working on this fabrication with my good friend Sal. I just got it back from the machine shop. Couldnt wait to get some paint.

I started with a donor 250 ci head and cut-off the integrated cast iron log intake. Then came intense porting and gasket matching, thanks to some great guidelines in "The Ford Falcon Six Cylinder Performance Handbook". I then got some rectangular tubing and started cutting it up to resemble some cardboard models I made. Sal would tack-weld pieces together and I would grind and refit the pieces until we could make final weld passes. A slow and steady approach finally won the race.

The shop then opened up the valves to 1.75/1.50" with hardened exhaust guides. I'm using Yella Terra roller rockers and doubled up on the valve springs. There is also a Holley Super Sniper EFI to top it off.

I'm taking the lower end to a shop this week to get it set up to support the top end. Supply chain will create some delay for forged parts, but we're moving forward!! Anyone with a lead on any off-the-shelf parts, let know.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 20220612_081410.jpg
    20220612_081410.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
  • 20220612_123621.jpg
    20220612_123621.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 71
I'm taking the lower end to a shop this week to get it set up to support the top end. Supply chain will create some delay for forged parts, but we're moving forward!! Anyone with a lead on any off-the-shelf parts, let know.

Cheers!
Use the Molnar TH4931MFB6-A Toyota 1JZ rods.
Have Autotec/Racetec make a set of 4032 alloy pistons to match.

Ive been working on this fabrication with my good friend Sal. I just got it back from the machine shop. Couldnt wait to get some paint.

I started with a donor 250 ci head and cut-off the integrated cast iron log intake. Then came intense porting and gasket matching, thanks to some great guidelines in "The Ford Falcon Six Cylinder Performance Handbook". I then got some rectangular tubing and started cutting it up to resemble some cardboard models I made. Sal would tack-weld pieces together and I would grind and refit the pieces until we could make final weld passes. A slow and steady approach finally won the race.

The shop then opened up the valves to 1.75/1.50" with hardened exhaust guides. I'm using Yella Terra roller rockers and doubled up on the valve springs. There is also a Holley Super Sniper EFI to top it off.

Cheers!
Can we see more pictures please? That's nice.

Very nice work any more pictures of the fab work on the head and intake combo?

How much internally is runner vs open plenum?
good question, but I dont know. I thought of how to measure this, based on discussion in the "FFSCPH", but could not come up with a good way to do it.

I did use a "cardboard cut-out gauge" glued to the end of a dowel rod to gauge each port as I was working on them to ensure reasonably equal sizing. Im not sure how the plenum volume vs the port volume will work out in performance. I believe there should be a relationship there, and dont know what would be ideal. Ill guesstimate at least 2:1 volume ratio, plenum to ports in this build. Do you know more about this topic to share?

good question, but I dont know. I thought of how to measure this, based on discussion in the "FFSCPH", but could not come up with a good way to do it.

I did use a "cardboard cut-out gauge" glued to the end of a dowel rod to gauge each port as I was working on them to ensure reasonably equal sizing. Im not sure how the plenum volume vs the port volume will work out in performance. I believe there should be a relationship there, and dont know what would be ideal. Ill guesstimate at least 2:1 volume ratio, plenum to ports in this build. Do you know more about this topic to share?
Thank you for the extra pictures, sam68. You did a very good job there're have been quite a few that have started doing these small Ford Six Head Logectomy's but not many them seem to get completed. I can shed a little bit of info on intake manifold design's, for the Plenums Size there are formals to calculate these sizes but our resident Ford Engineer "FTF" once told me years ago that for a street engine " you would want to size a Pentium at about 50% to 65% of the engine's displacement. So this would be 100 to 130 Cu. Inches or 1.65 to 2.145 Liters for a Ford 200 Six or 3.3L if you like the Metrics. From my own experiences with many different types of Street Performance and Drag Race Intakes, the Port to Heads Intake Runner length will vary at what RPM the Torque and H.P. will peak at. Port & Runner Length which starts at the the Plenums exit going into the Heads Intake Runner and ends at the Intake Valve's Seat. Generally the longer runner's are good for lower RPM Torque and Shorter Runners are good for Higher RPM Power, of course this doesn't take into account all the packaging problems of a custom made intake with the Limiting factors of the cars Chassis or Body. Another tip from "FTF" is that it's also good for keeping the Air Fuel Mixture in suspension if you have a small radius in the corners of the Pentium and the port runners rather than square corners. To me by my eyes it looks like you (that is without the actual the measurements to go by), are going to be pretty close on the Plenum size. Your Intake also kind of resembles the Australian 2V Intake's, when you get it running I will sure be looking forward to hearing how it works out and how you like it, Edited

Very impressive.
What did you use to weld to the cast iron head?

ie: 90% nickel rods?

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed pics. My experiences are similar to what Bubba already posted in regard to runner length. One of the best manifolds I ever ran on the street was a dual carb tunnel ram with small carbs and conservative cross section runner size. (on a V8 ), It led me to believe velocity and fuel atomization were key. I really like what you have done and cant wait to hear how it works as well.

Thank you for the extra pictures, sam68. You did a very good job there're have been quite a few that have started doing these small Ford Six Head Logectomy's but not many them seem to get completed. I can shed a little bit of info on intake manifold design's, for the Plenums Size there are formals to calculate these sizes but our resident Ford Engineer "FTF" once told me years ago that for a street engine " you would want to size a Pentium at about 50% to 65% of the engine's displacement. So this would be 100 to 130 Cu. Inches or 1.65 to 2.145 Liters for a Ford 200 Six or 3.3L if you like the Metrics. From my own experiences with many different types of Street Performance and Drag Race Intakes, the Port to Heads Intake Runner length will vary at what RPM the Torque and H.P. will peak at. Port & Runner Length which starts at the the Plenums exit going into the Heads Intake Runner and ends at the Intake Valve's Seat. Generally the longer runner's are good for lower RPM Torque and the Shorter Runners are good for Higher RPM Power, of course this doesn't take into account all the packaging problems of a custom made intake with the Limiting factors of the cars Chassis or body. Another tip from "FTF" is that it's also good for keeping the Air Fuel Mixture in suspension if you have a small radius in the corners of the Pentium and port runners rather than square corners. To me by my eyes it looks like you (that is without the actual the measurements to go by), are going to be pretty close on the Plenum size. Your Intake also kind of resembles the Australian 2V Intake's, when you get it running I will sure be looking forward to hearing how it works out and how you like it, Edited

This was a 2-1/2 year adventure with many weeks working out the next couple moves. My friend Sal is one of the most patient people I know. He was an essential part of the team. It wouldnt have happened without my friend Sal.

Thanks for the information! This runner/open plenum configuration with the Holley Super Sniper will be an interesting experiment. I've learned a lot, but still know nothing.

I've got another idea to make it easier to perform the logectomy. Maybe there will be a frankenlog 2. LOL.

Ill keep posting as this build moves along.

I've often wondered (very dangerous) make a home made 250 2v. Do a logectomy, a little porting, weld a 3/8" gasket matched steel plate to the cleaned up head and use a factory 250 2v 2bl intake.
How close is the port spacing between a log head and a 250 2v??

This was a 2-1/2 year adventure with many weeks working out the next couple moves. My friend Sal is one of the most patient people I know. He was an essential part of the team. It wouldnt have happened without my friend Sal.

Thanks for the information! This runner/open plenum configuration with the Holley Super Sniper will be an interesting experiment. I've learned a lot, but still know nothing.

I've got another idea to make it easier to perform the logectomy. Maybe there will be a frankenlog 2. LOL.

Ill keep posting as this build moves along.
sam68, that is really great that you have such a good friend to help you. In any case you both stuck with the Log Head project from concept to the finish to produce a very good looking Head that should give you a decent performance boost.

Back