WWYD - 1 Barrel carburetor selection question

Lagniappe

Another question for you guys to help with project planning for my 200 swap for the tired 170 in our '65 Falcon.

When I bought the replacement engine it came with a C9DE 6090 M head installed, and a bare spare with the same casting number which I need to get magnafluxed. If the spare is okay I'm getting a machine shop to do the 2V conversion on it. Otherwise I have a D0DE 6090 A from a 1970 Maverick 170 that I'm going to have checked out.

In the mean time, I need to get the 200 in the car and running, so I'm going to install a 1V carburetor on the current head for now.

The current 170 has an Autolite Load-O-Matic which I'm not going to reuse. I'm using a compatible HEI or DSII (probably an HEI) in the new engine.

The 200 also came with a Carter RBS carb which needs a rebuild. Number on the side O-2185. It isn't a Ford piece, I think it was originally AMC. I think the mounting holes line up, but the PO never mounted or rebuilt it. It does look in decent shape on the outside.

So the question: Rebuild the Carter or buy one of the "new" (Chinese) Carter YF repop carbs from Ebay that have been listed recently - about $150 shipped? The YF is listed with a 1.57" venturi and "says" it fits on a 200. I don't know anything about the Carter RBS and haven't been able to cross reference it online - though I have looked. I may need to start calling Carb parts places to get any info on it.

Neither choice is a sure thing, I could have problems with the rebuilt RBS, or the YF knockoff. The difference in cost is in the weeds for me right now, but I would like the thing to run decently until i can get the 2V swap done.

As an aside, I'm planning on using an Autolite 2 barrel 1.02 for the 2V conversion, and have a nice core on the way to rebuild.

Thanks for your opinions.

Hah! That's probably the best answer, but if it stays on the engine more than 6 months I'm dogging it on the 2V conversion, so I need something I can execute quickly and move on to other things.

By the way, I forgot to check for a flange stamp on the RBS. It says L0 6076S, which cross references to a 1971 Comet or Montego California 250 automatic. If it makes a difference, the Falcon is a manual.

Still - more comments please: Rebuild the RBS or get the YF knockoff.

Well I would just put a kit in the old Carter RBS since you have it and because it's only a temporary deal. It should be low cost and besides they are decent carbs. Good luck :nod:

Thanks to you both. I looked at a Carter RBS carb kit now that I have the flange number, and it's under $40. So that looks to be the preferred resolution. Thanks for helping me think about it.

"...a Carter RBS carb kit now that I have the flange number, and it's under $40..."
could you tell me where U got the rebuild kit and extent of prts included?
Thank you!
:eek:

Econoline":1qzna6w5 said:
If you need a new float, http://quadrajetparts.com/carter-nitrophyl-carburetor-float-p-1140.html has them for $16 compared to much more elsewhere.
They also have all the choke parts including the spring, http://quadrajetparts.com/choke-metal-thermostat-spring-p-749.html
They sell the kit for $33, http://quadrajetparts.com/carbureto...1970-ford-truck-1971-mercury-1970-p-1131.html

So it looks like quadrajet has it all but under several different ON's or kits? OK thank you - I'll go check em out!
You may C a PM from me later, if that's OK...

Thanks for the great link to a carburetor parts supplier.

Hi Mr. Curiosity here,
Just wondering what you actually did in terms of the 'temp' carb? If you rebuilt the RBS how did that go?

Rick in CA

Back