All Small Six What to use with Original Adjustable Rocker Shaft

This relates to all small sixes

falconcritter

Supporter 2023
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2018
Do i use Soild Or Hydraulic Lifters with a Original 170 Adjustable Rocker Shaft ?

The lifters you use will depend on the camshaft grind your plaining on using is designed for / or its manufactures recommendations. Aftermarket cams usally have a grind number stamped on the rear of the last cam bearing if you see an H in that number it stands for a Hydrolic Lifter Cam and an S is for a Solid Lifter Cam. Stock Ford Cams were all solid lifters until the end on 1964, the Hydrolic lifter cams also came out in 1964 a few were still solids like in Econoline or Ranchero's. Pertty much all factory Ford cams used in 1965 and newer six'es were Hydrolic lifters. The adjustable rocker arms can work with either type, they do need to have a set of the cup type push rods though. Best of luck

Hi, my original adjustable rocker arms are working great with the hydraulic lifter cam. Two things to remember are there is no lash adjustment with a feeler gauge, you tighten down and twist the push rod between your fingers until you are happy with the preload, and I don't think the earliest blocks have the oil passage for hydraulic lifters. Good luck

Make sure your block can support hydraulic lifters. I rebuilt a 144 back in the early 80's, the machine shop gave me a hydraulic cam . The block didn't support enough oil flow and the lifters wouldn't pump up .The car was way under powered( even for a 144). I had to swap in a solid lifter cam ( naturally during the cold winter outside...).

I am starting my Australian 250-2V Build and i am doing research so i can confer with my machine shop . I have been looking at other Aussie 250-2V's and they all have the adjustable rockers . I need to drop off my short block tomorrow to disassemble , access , and reassemble . I Know i have .040 over flat tops , they are suppose to be ford tempo 4 cyl pistons . and the cam is a Mystery too . The guy i got it from was kinda sure it was a Clay Smith Cam .... I hope they stamp their cams with numbers !!!!!

Attachments

• 100_3942.JPG
    100_3942.JPG
    925.1 KB · Views: 2
Yes for sure Clay Smith has their grind number on the back cam bearing. Once you have the number of the back of you can then find out its specs.

the cam is a Mystery too . The guy i got it from was kinda sure it was a Clay Smith Cam .... I hope they stamp their cams with numbers !!!!!
Now would be the perfect time to check the cam specs with a degree wheel and a dial indicator this way you will know for sure.
Once the cam is out and the markings aren't clear or there are no markings, then you have a problem.
You will need to do this procedure when you assemble the engine so might as well get a practice run in now.

Back