What ignition system is “best”

vssman

I‘ve noticed a shift over the years in recommendations for ignition systems to the DS11. Technically, what makes this superior to the other choices? One of Mike’s articles touted the HEI as a “better” system: https://fordsix.com/ams/ignition-system-choices.13/ . My experience with the DS11, when I was a mechanic, was less than ideal going so far as to install a back up module on rental vans in case the original module gave out. So please discuss what is a ’best’ ignition system from a technical standpoint without regard to appearance, etc…

This has been discussed many times before and everyone has a different perspective on what aspect is important.
Engine performance, reliability, parts availability, cost, ease of timing advance adjustments and so on.

Carburetor 300 six or EFI 4.9 six?

What aspects are important to you?

Last edited:
Here is what we know.

The HEI distributor advance curves are wrong for all Ford 300/4.9 sixes.
All distributor advance curves are wrong for any of the 4.9 EFI engines.

After back to back testing of ignition systems on the 300 six, the MSD ignition systems offer the best low rpm torque and fuel mileage.

Last edited:
Just trying to get a better understanding of the recommendations for the small 6. Not trying to stir a pot, or anything. Genuinely interested in factual information.

Just trying to get a better understanding of the recommendations for the small 6. Not trying to stir a pot, or anything. Genuinely interested in factual information.
Just trying to figure out what parameters you are looking at for ignition system comparisons.
Would this be for the 200/250 six?

Yes, for a 200 six.

I guess what I am looking for is why the DS11 is now recommended over other systems? From Mike’s page it looked as if the HEI would allow for more complete burn and more overall potential HP. If that holds true, what makes DS11 better? Is the DS11 preferred because it’s less expensive? Easier to adjust when advance kicks in and max advance? Just what a supplier happens to prefer? Has the quality of the DUI HEI gone down with the importation of Chinese units?
I run a DUI HEI with a MSD module and accel super coil. Would a DS11 provide noticeably any better performance?

Here is a start.

I guess what I am looking for is why the DS11 is now recommended over other systems?
It's what people know, and it's Ford. It's a valid functional option, but generally not a first choice for various reasons. GM HEI systems are more powerful, and easier to tune the advance. Alternatively, PerTronix-II outputs the same HEI power, but all inside a small or large-cap Ford distributor with the same 1-wire change (jump the PINK wire). DS-II is an old but good system, simply more complex in wiring, added box, and behind in performance compared to others, but known (like points) and appreciated. DS-I (red) on the other hand was Ford's HEI equivalent, but again more wires and box, less accessible advance, etc.

A contributing factor may be that up until recently you could go to the neighborhood wrecking yard and get the components for a DSII system for cheap. It's been probably around twelve years ago that I sourced the parts for my Bronco DSII ignition from picnpull on half price day for about $50-$60 for all the components and that included a like new set of wires I found on a car. Budget friendly and generally very dependable. Have the distributor recurved for performance or do it yourself if you now how and you have a performance ignition system for not much money. Or you can get a custom curved distributor from a forum member here. wsa111.

Yes, for a 200 six.

I guess what I am looking for is why the DS11 is now recommended over other systems?
The DSS2 distributor is preferred because it is much easier to change the advance curve to match the engine’s power curve based on induction system and camshaft specs.

We don’t consider the DSS2 ignition box as having any real performance advantage over other ignition modules or systems.

A lot of us including myself use the DSS2 distributor with MSD ignition for the best low rpm torque and fuel mileage.

Last edited:
Yes, for a 200 six.
Has the quality of the DUI HEI gone down with the importation of Chinese units?
I run a DUI HEI with a MSD module and accel super coil. Would a DS11 provide noticeably any better performance?
My reason for going to DS 2 over HEI on a big 6 was that the aftermarket HEI had odd-ball springs and weights, finding matching replacements to tweak the curve was hit-n-miss. Also, I'll pay double for a USA built product over china every time. No matter how good the offshore product is, it is still short of the factory home-grown parts. I've never seen an exception to this, regardless of the part.

Back