Twin turbo 300

Not to jump ship here, but I've been talking with bullet cams off and on about doing a 300 roller cam. They said they could make it to work with the 351W gear so you're not stuck with the bronze gear. I will double check but I believe the 351 gear is the same shaft size, just a different tooth count. And since the factory engines came stock with roller cams in the later years the gears should be easy to get. I will look into this more and report back

I asked bout that too and he went on about the sbc gear was possible because you could remove the last cam journal and press the gear on but not the 300 because its in the middle. He seamed pretty heated about this subject. I know that's not what I asked but dropped it to calm him down. I would be ok with that too. He just seemed to be very irritated with the idea of making a 300 roller cam......maybe he doesn't want to make cams out of that material? Damn I thought I wrote that material down? I think it was 1050/1055? I got the impression that there are cam cores available for 8620 and 9310? Maybe it will be a PINA to get cam cores for 1050/1055? I have called around and seems to me 8620 was the one that the few places had or could get?

I'm just irritated that these places don't want to help us because there are too few of us that want one and willing to pay for it. After all the hype of the 500+hp video getting so much attention and Promax seeing the potential I can't believe we couldn't make this reality and start a new movement. I think the reliability of the roller cam and 400hp easily obtained would bring life backto this engine! The guys making LS heads and the Cleveland heads popping up makes me wonder if someone would 3D model one of those heads and cast them? Technology is wonderful right now. It would be easy compared to the past. I left a comment on Dragboss garages video to get it 3D scanned and give the file to someone that could cast it. Maybe he will?

I called bullet cams and the one I had made was from 8620 billet steel
Well he didn't mention that...... so what are the specs on the cam? I have been financially strapped for over a year. I am finally getting to the point I can start buy parts again. How much was the cam?

After talking with Pmuller9 we decided on a 294 adv dur 242@.050 .576 lift on a 110LSA. Lift is with 1.6 Roller rockers. $800
That's too big for my twin turbo project. It's going in a 1952 COE. Be great for a N/A F100. So what roller lifters are you gonna use? There is enough height in the lifter bores for the oil groves not to come out of the bore at that lift?

That's too big for my twin turbo project. It's going in a 1952 COE. Be great for a N/A F100. So what roller lifters are you gonna use? There is enough height in the lifter bores for the oil groves not to come out of the bore at that lift?
They have a lot of different options so I'm sure they will have something to fit your needs. $800 was about a year ago so they could be a little higher now.
We haven't figured out the lifters yet as the engine was just recently brought to the shop. Motor came from a junkyard and I tried to get the old lifters out when I had it at my house and they would barely move and I couldn't pull them out but I think Mark has it all disassembled now. We were going to start with the 302 lifters. That's what they use on the solid rollers and then just go from there.

The lifer bore spacing is close to a 385 series big block. I contacted howards cams. They said they use the same lifters for the sbf and 385 series lifters. Tie bars are different. I'm not using solid lifters. I got howards to give me the oil grove height of the retrofit hr lifters. It looks like they will work. I have to buy a set to see how much lift I can get. Your fine because of the solid lifter.

The lifer bore spacing is close to a 385 series big block. I contacted howards cams. They said they use the same lifters for the sbf and 385 series lifters. Tie bars are different. I'm not using solid lifters. I got howards to give me the oil grove height of the retrofit hr lifters. It looks like they will work. I have to buy a set to see how much lift I can get. Your fine because of the solid lifter.
Thanks for the info about Howards using the same lifters for both engine series.
I apologize for the misunderstanding. I am fully intending on using hydraulic roller lifters. I was just merely stating that we're going to start with 302 lifters since that's what they use for solid rollers but in a hydraulic version. But if they use the same lifters for the 385 as they do for the 302 and the spacing is correct for the 385 series, then we'll just start there.

Oh I guess I'm getting old. It wasn't Howard's I was talking too. It was Gaterman products.

GP1004-02 is what he told me to buy.
I've looked at the Gaterman's before and they are a great price but wasn't sure of the quality. When I called them a couple years ago they were made overseas but assembled and qc in the US. I'm actually using their valves for my project.

The Ford 300 lifter bores have a 2.125” spacing.
The next closest spacing is the Ford 460 at 2.080”.
The SBF spacing is less than that.

0.045 is pretty close. I really don't want to use comp cams rollers. I have read too many bad reviews. Looks like the Howard's lifters are taller than the Gatorman ones. Gatorman removed some metal compared to Howard's.

0.045 is pretty close. I really don't want to use comp cams rollers. I have read too many bad reviews. Looks like the Howard's lifters are taller than the Gatorman ones. Gatorman removed some metal compared to Howard's.
I've read some of the same reviews about comp cams, but have you looked at their new evolution line? I didn't know the gatormans were shorter

Back