Turbo with EFI Exhaust Manifolds

Dr Jay

I wish to run a 10 lb boost set up on my truck.
Has anyone made a setup like this, 2 J pipes into a Y pipe ? This would place the turbo head to the right of the Clifford intake I will use. I’m thinking drawthrough with a Holley.
This is just a mock-up! No human will witness the welds once completed, (funny?)

Attachments

• BEFE3099-483D-4A87-A839-F55D6FFACA1F.jpeg
    BEFE3099-483D-4A87-A839-F55D6FFACA1F.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 81
Looks like a great set-up.
Present day turbochargers are not designed for draw through where the inlet sees a high vacuum when the throttle is closed.
Besides that the carb size is much larger on a draw through and the vacuum drop through the carb decreases boost pressure.

It looks like you are designing for a blow thru and I hope that is what you meant.

Uh, no I had decided boost referencing a carb and all that is needed might be above my abilities.
So I’ll change. Have you ever seen an exhaust set up with the flange ending up there beside the intake. The joy is doing it myself and this setup off the efi manifolds seemed simple.
Thanks

Dr Jay":3js43rrq said:
Have you ever seen an exhaust set up with the flange ending up there beside the intake. The joy is doing it myself and this setup off the efi manifolds seemed simple.
Thanks
No I haven't. You would need to heat blanket the turbocharger since it is close to the intake manifold and carburetor.
It would be better if the turbine side of the turbocharger was back away from the carburetor and had a blanket.

Well, OK then!
I’ll keep at it in a new way. The draw through left the carb up by the radiator, with blow through, I’ll move the flange over closer to the hood hinge.
Thanks again.

Here's a thread that uses EFI manifolds with small twin T25 turbos directly mounted. Twin turbo adapter plates.

One issue that is not usually mentioned, is the support needed for the additional cantilever load on the manifold to head joint. Ways of handling this would be to anchor the down pipe to the flywheel housing bolts which I have done and you can add a brace from the turbo or pipe down the motor mount or pan bolts. Either way, I think extra support is needed.

I like the position IF you have the room under the hood and IF a few other things fit. IF you can put the turbo flange right above the merge of the front pipe and offset the turbine enough to clear the intake manifold and/or carb.

I don't see a problem with draw through turbo setups when they're limited to pretty low power and boost, and as long as the right components are used. But, it's true you can't easily find components anymore like a good carbon seal turbo and other tuning woes.

Mounting it lower, if there's room, could be useful, and these are cheap, leave room for a brace to hook to it.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/g08AAOSwT6pVtp68/s-l1600.jpg

Rebuild kits with carbon seals are available for several turbos in the size/horsepower/flow range needed. Garrett mostly.
Do you have a heated plenum for the draw through setup?

Blow thru has become more popular. Bypass type boost referenced regulators are common.
A TBI in-tank pump will easily handle the job.

Last edited:
Back