turbo ?'s...external wastegate...

I got some questions to ask...planning on a blow through setup similar to dan's and only have a .48/60 t3 laying around...been looking for a .63 housing but can't find one. now could I go with a extranal wastegate like a deltagate and use that to help bypass the turbine? or will it just not flow enough with the stock internal wastegate? or will the .48 be ok for 10psi or so and 4000rpm?

nick

If you can find ANYTHING on how to size the turbine side of a turbo, please post. There are compressor maps available for every known Garrett variation and many other brands but nothing for the drive side. Inquiring minds want to know.

If your turbine is too small, you'll overspeed the turbo driving it out of the efficiency range making way more heat than you want and risking premature bearing failure. Also you cause more back-pressure in the exhaust system which reduces power output even further.

8) another thing you have to watch out for is compressor surge. that happens when the turbo is pushed out of its operating range, and can be very damaging not only to the turbo, but to the engine as well.

well I know the .60 cold side is almost perfect for what I want.......

but on the hot side I am sure a .48 would work for real low boost and rpm but will be maxed out I think right out of the box. dan had a .63 hot on his first turbo and it ran fine I hear so since a .48 is next down I was hoping I could at least get something drivable with it...

on the 87-88 tbird they used a IHI rb5 turbo that is smaller than a .48 t3 housing and I figured that if they could use one that small and move that much air that on a 200 a .48 would be good for a driver...not looking for max power jsut something with good lowend...

but my main qiestion was can I use a external gate to help control boost on a smallish turbine.

nick

I don't see why you couldn't use an external waste gate, but I don't see why you would need to either.

For turbo parts (like a .63 housing) try my friend Chris Wright:
www.turbosunleashed.com

if you are running low boost, just get a turbo with an internal wastegate. If u want to controll boost get a boost controller.

I'm using a Deltagate on a T04 with a .58 hot side on my wife's '63 Falcon with a 250. I'll start with the wastegate set at around 8lbs and see how it goes. Search for my other posts for a pic. I'll post more this weekend.
Will

You'd be surprised that most people go way to big on the turbine side; that .48 will give you the low & mid end boost you want (and need)- without excessive exhaust temps.

If your engine is a 200 that realisically won't see the high side of 5000 rpm, that's not a bad choice. I'd keep it under 8-9 psi and enjoy it as it is...

JEFF

hey,

i'd love to see a photo of one setup, considering doing the same.

anyone tell me how they set it up?

I have a 200ci in a 68 mustang, the turbo appeals over supercharger as i don't have to screw around with the AC and PS pulleys etc etc

Back