My twin turbo 200 idea alluded to in my other TT post.

A

Anonymous

My idea is actually quite simple yet allows big upgrades for the future and ease of installation.

I am going to be getting myself a welding degree from Ferris State. For one of our classes we have to do a fabrication project. I have the go ahead already from one of our professors to start engineering something never before done. I am going to build a turbo manifold for my 200 along with building an intake manifold. The whole setup will be going into a 79 Mercury Zephyr. It will be an automatic car until I can get everything I need to install a 5speed. Turbo comes first though.

My idea was this. I am also big into the sport compact scene. A car I own and consequently know alot of information about is a turbo Dsm. Dsm's are Mitsubishi Eclipes, Eagle Talons, and Plymouth lasers. The turbo on a first gen (90-94) manual trans car is a 14b. These turbos put out roughly 450 cfm. Being the stock turbo on a 2.0 car also means it has great spool potential. I figured two of these would be pushed by roughly 1.65L (3.3/2=1.65) On a b16 Honda (1.6L Honda motor) these turbos are being spooled by 2500-3k rpm. These honda motors however do not have nearly the amount of torque a stock 3.3 has and I know it does not have nearly the airflow down low like our motors do. This leads me to belive that a twin turbo 14b setup would show me full spool by roughly 25-2700 rpm. Just as the airflow is starting to fall off due to limitaions in the head.

The reason I want to go with 14b's is simple, ease of use. 14b's can be found dirt cheep, are very plentiful, easily upgradeable, and very easy to install.

I already have a 14b from a parts car of mine, and I have another one offered to me for free. I can also use a stock Dsm O2 sensor housing, this bolts onto the outlet of the turbo and turns it 90 degrees downward. This would also be helpful as a place to put a wideband O2. The outlets for the charge side are also bolt on. I can easily fabricate outlets to go whatever direction out of whatever size pipe I want. The other nice things is the massive amount of upgrades available for these turbo's. I can get a big, small, or Evo 16g, an 18g, 20g or even larger. A single Evo 16g (most common upgrade) can make upwards of 400whp on a 2.0. If I need to go bigger I have many options that literly bolt directly into place of the 14b's.

I plan on doing an external wastegate on each turbo (allows alot better control of boost pressure at the psi's I want to run.) As are as the rest of the setup goes I am going to run either dual Srt-4 intercoolers or buy a bigger one and run the charge pipe into one before the intercooler. If I do a dual Srt setup I will combine the pipes after the coolers. Bov I am not fully sure on what I will use but it will be right after the intercooler. I am going to run this up to a custom carb bonnet that I will be making myself. Since I plan on making an Intake also I will be able to run any carb that I want. For my fuel setup I am going to be putting a FI Mustang tank into my car for the electric pump. Or I will be just running an external electric pump. I plan on running a AFPR (Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator) that is boost referenced. Running that into a 2 barrel that I modify for boost should be well enough for me. I will be adding a MSD ignition box with launch control to act as a 2 step for boost off the line.

Just thought I would lay out my idea here and get some input on it while I was still in the planning stage.

My ultimate goal is to go as fast as possible on the stock shortblock. This means cam too. I will be porting the head, bigger valves, and intake manifold so I can't go after that record. I see no reason why with proper tuning on race gas I couldn't get into the mid 11s. I already get alot of flak for saying that but I honestly don't with the head modifications I have planned. I do have to admit though 11's I forsee with a cam change.

What does everyone think of my pioneer project?

That sounds outstanding to me--but I'm a sucker for turbos. There's nothing I would like more than to get into a big fabrication project myself. Unfortunately, I'm stuck in Germany for the time being with no garage or even driveway to work in. There's no telling what I'll get into when I move to Alaska in November though. Depends on whether I have a heated garage or not.

I'd have to say that the Honda flows much more air liter for liter than our 200 though. 4 valves, individual runner intakes, and hemi heads will do that...the log is a huge restriction (as you well know).

Back