Interchangeability of parts - 170, 200, Bronco, Falcon...?

A

Anonymous

Hello all.

It is beginning to look like the 170 I have planned to put into my 63 Ranchero actually came out of a 67 Bronco.

The oil pan is different I guess, and the dip stick currently is coming out of the pan on the passenger side.

I have been told that this will not work on my Ranchero (why?) and that I need to get a different pan, and move the dip stick over to the driver side.

I also have a 200 parts engine out of a Mustang.

Will the 200 Pan work on the 170?

I ordered a C4 flex plate, upper radiator hose, oil pressure light switch, and oil pan gasket from a local parts store thinking that I had a 170 out of a Falcon.

Am I going to have any problems with those parts now that I actually have a Bronco engine?

There are plenty of pics on page 3 of the Ranchero website listed in my signature below...

Thanks!

-Zim

externally the 170 is the same as a 200. a 200 pan can go on a 170 no problem BUT I think a 170 pan won't go on a 200 (I think this is what I have on my current engine and had to clearance the pan for the crank)

the bronco pan is different becase the cars used a front sump pan (expect the 1978 and up cars)

between the parts engine and what you ordered you should be good.

Yup, you should be good to go, since the externals of the blocks are the same.

Oilpans will interchange between the 144/170/200 engines, but some cars had front-sump, some were a front-and-rear sump, some were rear-sump depending on the vehicle. I'll bet the Mustang pan will work, but you might try to mock it up in there just to be sure. Or you could have the bronco pan modified, and maybe keep some of the extra capacity - just a stray thought.

Nice find - what's that V8 you took out?

jamyers":39xn40q1 said:
Nice find - what's that V8 you took out?

It was a 302 out of a Maverick.

Problem is, they never upgraded the 6 cyl drive train, so the rear end is apparently destroyed. But since it isnt running yet, I am not sure about that.

My goal is to just get it running good with the 170 and the C4 I have. It is very rusty underneath though - so I need to decide whether to just drive it till it breaks, or eventually get all the body work done.

-Zim

Back