Intake update 7-23-07 & 8-23-07

Do you like the intake runners with ribs, or without?

• With

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Without

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
http://www.classicinlines.com/

http://www.classicinlines.com/images/Al ... ay%201.htm

http://www.classicinlines.com/news.asp

It's ben awhile since I have searched thru Mike's site. He has info on the Weber style injectors, and he is or at least, was, also thinking about casting Weber intakes for the new head.

The posts on the new head have been long and the different intakes have been discussed. It wouldn't be too difficult to modify one of the Weber/2V intakes for the new head. The 69 has the Weber style injection on it.

XPC66":2lfm8vi4 said:
So not worth combining all three applications into one universal assembly?

If I remember correctly the vast majority of the folks actually likely to buy this new head plan to use a simple, single 2 barrel or 4 barrel carburetor induction set up. Adding complexity (and therefore cost) to that configuration wouldn't benefit those customers or increase sales.

It seems to me that having a few different intakes along the lines already being pursued makes a tremendous amount of sense. The first intake being developed is the one most customers are likely to use. It should be able to accommodate all of the following induction systems:

-- single 2 barrel carb
-- single 4 barrel carb
-- port injection with a single throttle body
-- twin sidedraft Weber carbs

Each of these would require a simple adapter for the top of the plenum on the intake manifold. These same adapters will likely be used on the intake developed for the new head for the big block six as well, which adds significantly to the efficiency of the general design being developed here.

Classic Inlines is evidently also developing an intake which would allow a person to mount triple sidedraft Webers as well as the twin-throat throttle body injection systems which use the same form factor as the Weber DCOE carbs. There was also some talk about building a plenum to mount to this intake which would allow a customer to create a contemporary tuned port injection set up using a single throttle body.

They also wrote about a possible future adapter for the first intake which would allow a customer to mount a common supercharger.

Taken as a whole that's a heck of a lot of versatility for two basic intakes. It's a good combination and I think most customers will be well served by one or the other of those two intakes.

shmoozo":8ehlm9s4 said:
If I remember correctly the vast majority of the folks actually likely to buy this new head plan to use a simple, single 2 barrel or 4 barrel carburetor induction set up. Adding complexity (and therefore cost) to that configuration wouldn't benefit those customers or increase sales.

It seems to me that having a few different intakes along the lines already being pursued makes a tremendous amount of sense. The first intake being developed is the one most customers are likely to use. It should be able to accommodate all of the following induction systems:

-- single 2 barrel carb
-- single 4 barrel carb
-- port injection with a single throttle body
-- twin sidedraft Weber carbs

Each of these would require a simple adapter for the top of the plenum on the intake manifold. These same adapters will likely be used on the intake developed for the new head for the big block six as well, which adds significantly to the efficiency of the general design being developed here.

Classic Inlines is evidently also developing an intake which would allow a person to mount triple sidedraft Webers as well as the twin-throat throttle body injection systems which use the same form factor as the Weber DCOE carbs. There was also some talk about building a plenum to mount to this intake which would allow a customer to create a contemporary tuned port injection set up using a single throttle body.

They also wrote about a possible future adapter for the first intake which would allow a customer to mount a common supercharger.

Taken as a whole that's a heck of a lot of versatility for two basic intakes. It's a good combination and I think most customers will be well served by one or the other of those two intakes.

Dead on. I couldn't have said it better. ;)
The only correction, is the supercharger. We will be making the tuned port plenum with a removable top, so air horns can be installed inside the plenum. This picks up a little horsepower as it gives the TBI's a better air signal. Thus all we need to do for a Magnuson blower, is make a different plenum top, to accomodate the blower foot print. We are also looking into a wet intercooler which would fit inside the plenum chamber, if we have enough clearance for it.

wsa111":8ehlm9s4 said:
Mike, i hope the carb mounting flange has the same angle as the carb flange on the log head so the carb will sit level when installed. Please keep that in mind.

We are adding material to the flange, so we can machine the angle, considering its easier to do a flat casting. They are also making the ribs a bit beefier, so they look more like those on the alloy valve covers.

AzCoupe":1atzywwa said:
The only correction, is the supercharger. We will be making the tuned port plenum with a removable top, so air horns can be installed inside the plenum. This picks up a little horsepower as it gives the TBI's a better air signal. Thus all we need to do for a Magnuson blower, is make a different plenum top, to accomodate the blower foot print. We are also looking into a wet intercooler which would fit inside the plenum chamber, if we have enough clearance for it.

I like where you are going with this, but I wonder if it might not be a little easier to use a Paxton supercharger and an air-to-air intercooler for the supercharged applications. Then again I gather the M90 superchargers are cheap and plentiful on Ebay and that certainly factors into the equation.

:)

Paxton or Prochargers would be easier to plump if one wanted to use an intercooler, no doubt. However, most daily drivers don't use an intercoolers, as they don't go over 6-8lbs of boost.

The same holds true for an Eaton or Magnuson style blower. No intercooler is required if the boost is kept under 8lbs. However, I'm sure some will want to go more than 8lbs, so we hope to come up with a wet intercooler, which would make it possible. If not, 6-8lbs will suffice.

One last point, Eaton or Magnuson blowers have a lot more WOW factor, making them more desirable in our opinion. Not to mention the cheaper prices due to availability. Paxtons are hard to find, and expensive. Eaton blowers are a dime a dozen.

Mike, you are going to have so many choices, its exciting, I'm glad I have not done anything yet. It will be so exciting to start from scratch, my builder is even excited as to which direction I'm going with the block, I'm leaning towards the supercharger.

Here's a silly question...

Looking at the rendering, has access to the center intake bolts (directly across from the carb at back of 3 and front of 4) been taken into account?
Looking at the pic, I don't see how you are going to get a long enough bolt in that area to go through the intake flange material thickness and enter the bolt hole in the head sufficiently to torque it down.
Am I missing something here?

Just a thought...

Mike.

AzCoupe":3khc7nqi said:

Exactly what I had rattling around in the cobwebby recesses of my mind. Been pondering how I could fab one up when I get that far, but I'm guessing you'll get there before I do :) Well done!

FLSHBCK":2byn13eh said:
AzCoupe":2byn13eh said:

Exactly what I had rattling around in the cobwebby recesses of my mind. Been pondering how I could fab one up when I get that far, but I'm guessing you'll get there before I do :) Well done!

Custom-made to my dreams... with the intercooler included, I am not saying anything about what kind of dream that might be.

Now, all I need do is fit the EFI kit. Sweet. Oh... and find the money. lol.

In my perfect world, I'll start with the 6 ports on the inlet manifold, as it is meant to be better for smooth driving. If it meets all my expectations that's it. If I need to go crazy, then the 12-port EFI with an M90 force-feeding it would be mindblowing. To look at, and to ride.

Well done, AzCoupe

PhantomAce":3qt0qzqd said:
Here's a silly question... Looking at the rendering, has access to the center intake bolts (directly across from the carb at back of 3 and front of 4) been taken into account? Looking at the pic, I don't see how you are going to get a long enough bolt in that area to go through the intake flange material thickness and enter the bolt hole in the head sufficiently to torque it down. Am I missing something here?

I've been working on this for four years and am pretty sure I've got all the bases covered. I've had a lot of time to go over it in my head, and on paper a few hundred times. In short, I did my homework. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I still perfer you ask questions, even if they do seem silly, as no one is perfect and I may have overlook something. Especially something simple like that.

The top four bolts go through the flange on the cylinder head, into threaded holes in the intake. Just like the stock 2V intake, which are clearly visable in the pic below.

Someone also question how we intended to mount fuel rails, considering there are no pads for them on the intake. Basically, the fuel rails will mount on brackets which utalize the top intake bolts, similar to the bracket used for the return spring. Not quite as easy, but still a piece of cake.

OZ015_jpg.jpg

The intake patterns and core boxes are almost done, so we should have our first proto types in a week or two. After we make sure they're right, we move right into the production run of 100 pieces.

The runners now have three ribs, which are a bit taller than they were on the cad drawings. I think they'll look pretty nice when polished, painted, left as is, or even milled off for a smooth finish.

intake19w.jpg

intake21w.jpg

intake30w.jpg

Here's what the head looks like with the injectors installed. The brackets were a piece of cake to make, but we will probably have cast or fabricated brackets made up. You can also see the new TBI's I'm now ordering. They are a bit shorter than the TWM injectors, for more shock tower clearance and/or a wider plenum.
AH027w_jpg.jpg

AH030w_jpg.jpg

This is a shot of the cable linkage that comes with the TBI's. It can be set up above or below the TBIs, as well as fore or aft.
TBIlink.jpg

And a last note: After being out of the 7qt hipo oil pans for almost a year, I finally got 20 more shipped in last week.
oilpan01.jpg

Mike, looks great, will you have heads available with the 1.55 exhaust valve??
The next deal is anyone with hooker headers or clifford headers, the center exhaust ports are vertical & do not mate up to the headers.

The heads are made so only the aussi headers will align with the center exhaust ports.

Do you plan a long tube primary pipe in the 1.5" diameter which will mate with the heads????

Looks like us guys with the hookers & clifford headers are looking for a loss of flow from the center exhaust ports the way it is now. Bill

uh.... not to be picky or anything but I'm thinking alot of people are going to be seeing your ad. except or accept?

Back