Intake/Head mods/fixs with Epoxy or similar?

powerband

2K+
VIP
interested in making carb spacers to my needed specs for 2Bbl log cut and other builds. Looking to 'cast' a few using an epoxy or similar that can withstand the temperatures on top of intake manifold.

suggestions appreciated for any easily available - usable temp' tolerant stuff worth trying to cast.. (self leveling would be nice)

(ref" posts on 2Bbl mod in Small Block forum )

... also - what is estimated temperatures at carb base ?

wrap some tape around something like this and fill ?

, .

. .

thanks

anecdotally : when I first brought home the '63 wagon, powerwashed the engine and it blew a hole in a freeze plug in the head. Pushed some JB Weld into it with my thumb as a short term fix. It was still not leaking when I pulled the engine a few years later !.

Last edited:
I don’t think epoxy will be a good material for a throttle body spacer. It’s better as a filler or sealer but the ethanol in fuel will deteriorate it over time.

You could make them out of Hard Wood, Plywood, or maybe use some Fiber Glass to cast some up.

thanks for the responses...

should add spacer is for forced induction (Blow Through) application adding needing strength and sealing.

Tri-Power Offy porting with Plenum on top and big carb worked well NA but thick cardboard spacer/gaskets wouldn't hold up to boosted pressures.

Direct mount 2Bbl seems simplest for next stage of the 250 Maverick build. SC'd 250 performs well and is mild until boost but has much more potential to develop.

hav e fun

(Duralco appears to have a minimum purchase but on right track... )

Don’t know if anyone has tried this but I had a vac leak with my tri power setup. It was right where the log head did not have enough surface area at the back gasket.
I used a mig welder to build up the surface area on the log then ground it flat.
This took care of the problem I had with trying to cure the problem with a thick gasket.
I know this will take care of the problem with a wedge surface but may help some vac leaks with a poor seal

I just thought of this. For an angle spacer, how about using a steel pinion angle wedge, and cut it to shape and either welding or using gaskets to make a seal
Not sure what the angle would be if they make all different angles

.. nice idea, couldn't find wider than 2" so far

trying to find this for 2Bbl

thanks

Chocking compound is new to me but exactly what I'm needing if I read specs right, as mentioned pricey though ...

> still trying to get expected heat range at carb base on integral log manifold - would be easy if not middle of winter with cars stored..

thanks

I am way out of my capabilities and experience here but could you get an appropriately sized piece of aluminum and have a machine shop machine it to that slanting profile and put the holes in?

There are carb spacers made from a phenolic resin that can both resist high temps and are chemical resistant. We used them a lot on circle track dirt car engines.

I designed and 3D printed a throttle body spacer out of nylon to adapt a 302 throttle body to the 4.9 intake. Worked very well. Plus side its chemical resistant so throwing methanol through it didn't hurt it any, and nylon is good to about 500F.

It doesn't look like a horrible design to figure out, if you want to talk I can get something drawn up on CAD and we can go from there.

Last edited:
interested in the 3D printer fab' , that's a friends' attempt in the pic but I don't have access. A similar angled riser form manifold to carbs' alum. mounting spacer/block is what's needed. (@ 3-1/2 Degrees rise to rear)

red one in pic is soft plastic and poor resolution of dimensions - 2300 - 7448 350 cfm 2Bbl -( 1-1/2" throttle bores not 2300-4412 1-11/16 bores)

may have to get a phenolic or alum and grind into 3-1/2 degree angle.

have fun

"I am way out of my capabilities and experience here but could you get an appropriately sized piece of aluminum and have a machine shop machine it to that slanting profile and put the holes in?"

I appreciate machinist 's capabilities but small unique work setup is expensive and such schedules often lengthy ...

Ok I'll have to find an accurate piece to takre measurements, then do a prototype print out of something cheap before attempting nylon

I found critical dimensions on Holley's website, but had to take educated guesses on dimensions on the body of the spacer since I don't have a physical piece to measure off of. Made the bolt holes 3/8" diameter to account for the tilt, unless someone has invented bendy bolts and hasn't told me yet.
The tilt is 3.5deg as specified.
Made two chunks different colors so you can see the overlap. I don't think it's worth trying to model the overlap out of it, just finish work and a bit of elbow grease after printing.
Spacer is 1" thick on the thin side.
Not certain on making dimensions perfect unless you can get the flange to me so everything matches up. It's important because there is no way to actually print a solid block from plastic warping. Can do 1/8" thick walls and a matrix on the inside.

Attachments

• Spacer_Angled.png
    Spacer_Angled.png
    67 KB · Views: 4
  • Spacer_Bottom_Angled.png
    Spacer_Bottom_Angled.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Spacer_Side_View.png
    Spacer_Side_View.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 3
you are way ahead of my progress and will try to catch up

Riser / Spacer only needs to seal against opened log manifold available sealing surface - not bolt through carb base holes to manifold.

basically the carb base without the fastener bosses.

Another spacer/riser will be final dimension riser to carb for final height. Fasteners will angle countersunk - through final alum. riser and angled riser into log at limited available lands on manifold. ( 'bendy' bolts fix - thats the idea ... )

attaching similar but not mine:

-

with consideration, the angled spacer mounting bosses are superfluous, not used for mounting carb although can help index final flat riser carb mount.

Don't build with fuel bowl side of 2Bbl Holley hanging over Exhaust . Risers needed to place Fuel Bowl above VC with SC charge pipe .

'got a few available 'thick' gaskets made with correct 1.50" (+ .+050 " ) throttle bore and appear 3D printed ,

'hope to learn practical use and limitations of simple 3D printing , can provide flange or gaskets with correct dimensions or open to your suggestions and help - probably PM best

Have fun

Last edited:
Back