All Small Six Ignorance rears its ugly head.

This relates to all small sixes

wme013

Watching the Barrett Jackson auction. The bid was on a 1965 Mustang with a 190 CID 6 cylinder?
A little research said it was a bored 170. Can a 170 be bored that far successfully?? An early 200 crank and less overbore??
Or has someone been smoking them funny cigarettes? Why would you do this to a 4 main bearing engine??
P.S. the car looked nice and went for $15,500

Using the rare 4 main 200 crank if you were lucky enough to find one in a 170 with a stock 3.500 bore block gives you a rounded off 181 cu. in. I believe that they accually built this engine size over in Austria with a 3.50 bore and 3.126 stroke. this would be a real nice upgrade for a little more torque. If you bored it out to .060 over you would get a rounded off 187 cu. in. I don't know of any larger over size pistons that are still being made for the 170 bore size. I think it's possable with a custom .090 over piston this would be more costly to do but I don't know how much you could safely over bore the 170's cylinders walls before your run into into trouble (the early blocks had more meat in them and might go to .080 or .100 over or maybe more). Your probally right and more than likely they just made a typo when filling out the engine specs.

Using the rare 4 main 200 crank in a 170 with a stock 3.500 bore block gives you a rounded of 181 cu. in

... as said, probably just an intended typo- to hype the sale.

Sure would like to SEE an actual 4 main 200. I've been a Falcon enthusiast since they were new cars and never seen any actual 4 main 200. Not saying it's impossible and may have been region/ DSO specific but not on east coast?.

A 7 Main C5DE 200 had only the bellhouse - small pattern , which was pretty odd (and useless to me) . Tried to give away for a few years before taking a BFH to it...,

( I do have a D6DE 250cid with AMC/TRW 258cid pistons (STD - 470NP.) overbore of .070" from OEM 3.68" to 3.75" - many say that isn't possible.)

have fun

Last edited:
Just so happens that two weeks ago there was a Deluxe Trim version 1964 Falcon Futura Fordoor Sedan loaded with many nice options for sale near my area, It had one those early 200 six 4 main engines. The 4 main 200 engine production started for the mid 1963 year models most of these 200 engines were used in the bigger 1963 and 64 model Fairlane's and probably also in the mid 1963 Mercury Metor's. They were also an option in the 1964 Falcon and Comets, though I doubt very many were ever built. I sure wanted to buy that Futura to restore just didn't have the kind of money they were asking. As a side note my wife and I had a Deluxe Trim 1965 Falcon Fordoor Sedan for a number of years shortly after we got married to this day my wife misses that car and I have been looking to find a nice one to restore for her. That 1965 Falcon only had the small pattern bell housing and the 7 main 200 block like yours was, I completely rebuilt that engine. It was also equipped with Air Conditioning and the C4 auto trans. All of the years of small block six's that came with a small bell housing bolt pattern (all 144's, and the early 170's & 200's to the end of 1965 models can be used with a Ford O Matic / Merc O Matic, or the case fill C4's with the correct bolt on small six Bell Housing all the way to the end of their production in 1981) they all used that same small bell housing pattern.

ignorance rears its ugly head ..

Sure would like to SEE an actual 4 main 200:

Now I can believe it's out there since it's been eye balled by persons of sound mind . :unsure:

from old CI pages:

The 144ci engine has a 2.50 inch stroke, while the 170ci has a 2.94 inch stroke. The 200 has a 3.13 inch stroke, while the 250ci engine has a 3.91 inch stroke.

Main Bearings: All 144/170ci, and 200ci blocks prior to mid '64, had four main bearings. While the 200ci from mid '64 onwards, and all 250ci blocks, had seven mains bearings.

I'm definitely confused with this crank found on E-Bay, :cool:

have fun

Last edited:
Yeah I think who ever is selling that crank on eBay is confused it obtusely can't be for both a 170 & 200 engine. We would need to have a stroke measurement or at least some casting numbers off it to know what it's for. It looks like a 170 crank to me but I could be wrong. A set of 170 or 200 forged rods with a 200 stroke would work not sure what pistons would fit except for those 181 six'es that they made in Austraila.

Super4ord, those Mazda V6 pistons sound like just the ticket to pulling off this 170 swap, glad to hear about them!

Back