All Small Six Holley Efi sniper

This relates to all small sixes

Mach1Mark

I have 200cdi with Aussie head.. I have the orginal 2bbl intake and a 4-barrel intake..
Thinking of of Holley 4-barrel efi.. with the dizzy that is controlled by the efi system.. I gues..? Haha..

Prices have really gone down so thought I'd try it.

Any advise? I've tried to search, but can't fine a good "thread" on the subject.. anyone try this.. any luck? Does Holley give support. Other options? Thanks..

The Sniper 4 barrel is an 800 cfm throttle body and is way too big for a 200 six.
The Sniper 2300 is the correct size.

Last edited:
I bought a used 2300 Sniper from a club member last year. He is building a 250 adding a turbo and needed the Super Sniper for his build. I installed the used unit, added the Holley EFI Fuel Tank Module 12-305, Bosch wide band O2 Sensor 554-155, coolant temp sensor 543-120, wiring harness 558328, I-6 Hyperspark distributor 565-315, Hyperspark CD ignition box 556-151, Hyperspark ignition coil 556-152. Carefully installed all components. It really woke up that 200 six. I had already had a machined 2-barrel conversion done to the head, and was running an Autolite 2100 2 barrel manual choke carb. The system has been very reliable so far. Big difference from the old carb set-up.

Thanks..so do u need the ignition box with the distributor.. ? I thought the "carburetor" efi had the computer installed inside the casing to change the timing and dwell as needed.. or do I need the ignition box also.. I've watched many videos on the Holley site , and it's a little confusing.. I could call support.. but thought I'd get ur guys thoughts first. Thanks for the response.

The Sniper 4 barrel is an 800 cfm throttle body and is way too big for a 200 six.
The Sniper 2300 is the correct size.
Well I had a 500 cfm Holley 2bbl on the engine before.. seemed to work fine.. so I was thinking the 800cfm was , yes a little high.. but because it's efi..I was thinking it would never dump that much gas into the engine.. the 800 is max.. is my thinking wrong? I wanted to buy the 4bbl.. incase I need a 4bbl for another application.. just thinking 🤔

When the throttle body is way too big for the engine, the gas peddle becomes very “ touchy” and hard to control. You also have full engine power before you get to half throttle.

Well I had a 500 cfm Holley 2bbl on the engine before.. seemed to work fine.. so I was thinking the 800cfm was , yes a little high.. but because it's efi..I was thinking it would never dump that much gas into the engine.. the 800 is max.. is my thinking wrong? I wanted to buy the 4bbl.. incase I need a 4bbl for another application.. just thinking 🤔
Not only is the 4V TBI big CFM- don't forget that the Sniper is NOT a progressive system. All 4 barrels open together from idle on. Around town drivability will be poor, the throttle will be ultra sensitive. My son has a 4V Sniper on a stock 318 Dodge van. At 18% throttle position he has 0" vacuum. He uses it for camping, and it's unmanageable in a campground, too sensitive to drive smoothly at low speed. He's not happy with it.

Also remember that 1 & 2 bbl carbs and throttle bodies are tested at a different depression than a 4bbl- an approximate correlation is divide the 1 or 2bbl cfm by (IIRC) 1.4 to approximate flow rate of a 4 bbl. So your 500 cfm 2bbl flows approximately the same as 350 cfm 4 bbl.

Just sayin'

Did not know that... I don't why Holley and other manufacturers make these 4-barrel efi's at 800 to 1100 cfm.. who running these engines? The average Joe? I've been looking at "ACE" efi.. they're in TN.. and made in USA. Just good old boys.. haha.. any thoughts? Thank for ur help.

Thanks..so do u need the ignition box with the distributor.. ? I thought the "carburetor" efi had the computer installed inside the casing to change the timing and dwell as needed.. or do I need the ignition box also.. I've watched many videos on the Holley site , and it's a little confusing.. I could call support.. but thought I'd get ur guys thoughts first. Thanks for the response.
I have a 67 Mustang 200/c4 been useing a 2300 Sniper on it for close to 3 years maybe a little longer. If you want the Sniper to control timing you have to use a Holley Hyper Spark dist .
Initially I ran the points dist & msd 6AL ign box upgraded to a Dura Spark dist now the Hyper Spark thru the msd box. Should you choose to go efi do yourself a favor & install a intank efi fuel pump such as Holley's in tank pump .
Some people love the Snipers & some hate them but I think it's mostley the 4 injector units . I also think the majority of problems are from poor installations .
For the most part my install & use has been ok . No matter who's efi set up you go with remember CHEAP isn't part of it .

You should see a big difference on your car useing efi with the Aussie head . My little 200 with a small log head feeding thru a 2x1 adaptor was/ is like day & night different .

The Sniper 2300 is rated at 560cfm if the info I found is correct.
I never got into what cfm it's rated for . But it's plenty for a stock small log headed 200 6.
I suspect it would be ok on a sbf eng also if it isn't built up a lot .

At my age being a old school type hot rod guy I've been surprised at the number of Snipers I see on a lot of cars at the car shows . I'll probably start asking some of the car owners about their real world experience with them. So far I have been more intrested in just looking at the cars, silly me .

I purchased a 4 injector set set up from a member om the Vintage Mustang Forumn thinking I would put it on my Mustang when I did the cam & alumn head. But I've really been likeing the idea of it on the slighley built up 351w I plan on transplanting into my piece of junk project 66 Ranchero .

I keep thinking I might kick off before I get some of this stuff finished , then I think who cares it's been fun . Let somebody else sort all that out if/ or when it happens .

I sometimes think that also, but I refuse to be a slave to it and will not rush it just to get it done, it will happen or not, but I will be having fun either way,:beer: let us hope for a long life and the loose nuts get tighten down.;)

Back