All Small Six Heater hose replacement questions

This relates to all small sixes

My63Comet

So I want to replace these two older red heater hoses and replace them with new black hoses. I have the 170 engine.
I couldn't find anything in the online manuals unless I'm looking in the wrong spot.
I am trying to avoid having antifreeze leak out onto my carpet inside.
What would be the proper order to do this?
Does the whole radiator need to be drained?
Does the heater core need to be removed?

Thanks for your help,
Doug

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    877.7 KB · Views: 5
still don't know for sure ... just replaced Hoses, Plugged up original Core, Defrost Plenum, Defrost Ducts and re-gasketed the '63 Wagon heater to have a DEFROSTER here in frosty N.E. .

'catch 22" - the heater hose clamps are somewhat accessible in place under dash but defroster plenum limits their access. Four small screws holding plenum aren't accessible with heater installed. Defroster plenums and defrost ducts were black cardboard and typically disintegrated . SO - if you can get to clamps you can probly replace hoses without entire removal. (re-fab plenum fastening ?)

... to R&R heater defrost etc. - defrost plenum was already gone - removed glove compartment, HiHat to Cowl thing, dash trim and radio speaker/defrost grill, cables, unboltd motor slid into cabin and disconnected hoses .

UNtypically the heater motor worked but had mouse bits throughout plenums and huge ? nest in cowl needed cutting into cowl from under the hood to remove.

Removal of the front bench seat is strongly recommended if you remove entire Heater.

BEFORE

Have Fun

( I rather swap an engine, replace an axle, remove front springs and any other fun tasks than work that much under a Falcon Dash again soon ...)

Last edited:
still don't know for sure ... just replaced Hoses, Plugged up original Core, Defrost Plenum, Defrost Ducts and re-gasketed the '63 Wagon heater to have a DEFROSTER here in frosty N.E. .

'catch 22" - the heater hose clamps are somewhat accessible in place under dash but defroster plenum limits their access. Four small screws holding plenum aren't accessible with heater installed. Defroster plenums and defrost ducts were black cardboard and typically disintegrated . SO - if you can get to clamps you can probly replace hoses without entire removal. (re-fab plenum fastening ?)

... to R&R heater defrost etc. - defrost plenum was already gone - removed glove compartment, HiHat to Cowl thing, dash trim and radio speaker/defrost grill, cables, unboltd motor slid into cabin and disconnected hoses .

UNtypically the heater motor worked but had mouse bits throughout plenums and huge ? nest in cowl needed cutting into cowl from under the hood to remove.

Removal of the front bench seat is strongly recommended if you remove entire Heater.

Have Fun

( I rather swap an engine, replace an axle, remove front springs and any other fun tasks than work that much under a Falcon Dash again soon ...)
OMG!!! I’m better off painting the red hose black. Lol.
I was hoping it was an easy swap.
My headliner was ruined by mice. I’m hoping I don’t find any old nest in the heater too. 😭
Thanks so much,
Doug

Last edited:
The heater and defroster work perfectly in my 1960 wagon. However, I am replacing the faded red hoses with black to blend better with the Edelbrock valve cover and air cleaner on the inline 6.

Edelbrock Inline 6.jpg

I’ve been wanting to do that too on my 63 Comet. I don’t like the red hoses. They just look cheap to me. I’ve just been nervous because I have new carpet already.
Keep us posted. 👍

Back