Getting "plugged in" here :)

Desertprep

I need plugs for my new to me '92 p'up. (Forgot to mention in the signature it is 4x4). Like others, I am trying to squeeze the most calories out of dinojuice that I can. The big picture: I would like to put a 4spd auto in it and equip it for long distance camping/road trips. I am willing to mess with the cam - that seems to be the best improvement for the buck mod, but right now I want to do a tune-up. Most people tell me to put the cheaptest stuff in the truck that I can, but others have recommended the msd line of products, specifically the wires, rotor cap, distributor cap and a coil to make it all work well together. Opinions? Also, what plug would you suggest? None of these folks have recommended the msd plugs - not the best fit for the truck.

I need plugs for my new to me '92 p'up. (Forgot to mention in the signature it is 4x4). Like others, I am trying to squeeze the most calories out of dinojuice that I can. The big picture: I would like to put a 4spd auto in it and equip it for long distance camping/road trips. I am willing to mess with the cam - that seems to be the best improvement for the buck mod, but right now I want to do a tune-up. Most people tell me to put the cheaptest stuff in the truck that I can, but others have recommended the msd line of products, specifically the wires, rotor cap, distributor cap and a coil to make it all work well together. Opinions? Also, what plug would you suggest? None of these folks have recommended the msd plugs - not the best fit for the truck.
Desertprep 1- welcome to the forum. I saw you over on introductions also.
Your best place to post these questions is here, it will get a lot more traffic. :)

In your instance, MSD will not yield anything noticeable for milage. Do use quality ignition components here though, Motorcraft or something comparable. Unless you need them go for more of a street-oriented tire for the better mileage. Keep a separate set to throw on when you want to hit the trails.

In your instance, MSD will not yield anything noticeable for milage. Do use quality ignition components here though, Motorcraft or something comparable. Unless you need them go for more of a street-oriented tire for the better mileage. Keep a separate set to throw on when you want to hit the trails.
Thank you. Performance is also an acceptable gain as well...a little better acceleration, faster starts on cold mornings, etc
;) ...but how do I know what "quality" is? Should I be using a hot plug? medium or cold? Copper core? Titanium? TOOOOOOOO many choices!

Stay with the stock plugs heat range, if you want to try a better grade of plug go right ahead. Since you are new to the truck, you won't recognize an improvement until you start some kind of mileage documentation with what you have and driving conditions/season; this way you know if you went the right direction whenever you renew/replace something. We like to hear back with what has been done and if there was an improvement or reduction.
An MSD box will most likely improve some of your driving experience, but it does accelerate wear at the dist cap/rotor and plugs due to the multiplied firing events over stock. The factory coil however doesn't seem to mind the additional use. An MSD coil would not serve anything more. A plug that would typically go for 30k may be done by 10-12k. Its up to you. The EEC-IV ignition (stock) does serve a good purpose here and if you are out traveling, over-the-counter parts are more easily managed over an MSD module problem.
Most here will agree that a better exhaust is the biggest initial improvement; not necessarily louder but something that flows better helps greatly.

Back