Wanted ford 300 i6 stroker crank clifford made

The 4.375" stroker crankshaft was made by welding up the 3.98" HD steel crank rod journals.
It is no longer available but is something that you can have done if you can get the HD forged steel crankshaft.
Just remember that as you decrease the journal overlap by stroking the crank you also decrease the crankshafts rigidity.

Last edited:
The 4.375" stroker crankshaft was made by welding up the 3.98" HD steel crank rod journals.
It is no longer available but is something that you can have done if you can get the HD forged steel crankshaft.
Just remember that as you decrease the journal overlap by stroking the crank you also decrease the crankshafts rigidity.
Could you explain welding the journals, as for rod ratio im wanting to do a block extension to raise the cylinder up and put a sleeve in

Could you explain welding the journals, as for rod ratio im wanting to do a block extension to raise the cylinder up and put a sleeve in
The outside of the rod journals has steel added to them by multiple weld beads.
Since the welding will bend the crankshaft, the crank is straightened with respect to the main journals
Then the rod journals are offset ground which moves the journal outward to the desired stroke.

The outside of the rod journals has steel added to them by multiple weld beads.
Then the crank is straightened with respect to the main journals
Then the rod journals are offset ground which moves the journal outward to the desired stroke.
Ok i see now, i could do this with my mig but sounds like a 2 or 3 month job to get right the first time without warping, do you know if this is possible on a cast crank?

From my experience, Arc (with nickel-ferrite rod) has done better whenever cast iron had to be welded. Mig just got it too hot. It was always a block or case that was welded though; never anything that was as stressed as a rotating assembly.

From my experience, Arc (with nickel-ferrite rod) has done better whenever cast iron had to be welded. Mig just got it too hot. It was always a block or case that was welded though; never anything that was as stressed as a rotating assembly.
I like mig and tig for precision time is not crucial to me unfortuneately there are no shops here that will weld the crank for me but there is a machine shop that will cut the crank

Crank welding is done with specific wire to the crank being welded, and is done using a submerged arc process. You likely wont be successful trying to do it with a mig at home....
I'd hate to guess what a welded stroker would cost in the current economy and marketplace.

Last edited:
Back