Engine problems

Austindavidince

Hi im new here and im in need of serious help, i have spent alot on my peugeot 308 2009, and it just keeps giving me problems. The 4th cylender on my peugeot 308 2009 1.6 4cylender engine is giving low compression , the airbox was not put on during this test so im not sure if thats what is affecting it, but it might be a burnt valve however the head was recently done and head was skimmed. It was not driven only run, the timing might be done wrong but will it still be a burnt of bent valve? I really dont want to get the head done again can anyone help me i really need it

Run a compression check.
I it checks ok, go to the ignition system, post your findings.

I did a diagnostic test with obd machine it did show a dip in cylender 4 but now can it just be a small issue if i ran it now with the air box off its indicating that the valves might be burnt or could it be something else?

Good new is air should not affect compression test. Back in the I had motorcycles that would not run without an air box but didn’t affect compression. Also if it wasn’t driven, the valve is probably not burnt👍. For compression, the valves need to seal and the piston rings need to seal. The air box off would affect all cylinders. Sorry not familiar with Peugeots, but if applicable, check valve adjustment, if too tight might be lowering compression? As wsa111, After compression test post results. How long has it been since the pistons were out and rings put in? 🤔

Good new is air should not affect compression test. Back in the I had motorcycles that would not run without an air box but didn’t affect compression. Also if it wasn’t driven, the valve is probably not burnt👍. For compression, the valves need to seal and the piston rings need to seal. The air box off would affect all cylinders. Sorry not familiar with Peugeots, but if applicable, check valve adjustment, if too tight might be lowering compression? As wsa111, After compression test post results. How long has it been since the pistons were out and rings put in? 🤔
Pistons werent out and rings werent put in, only thing that was done was skimming of the head because of a blown head gasket and timing might be off. It wasnt driven but it was turned on for a little bit to see if it the injectors are working

Hi im new here and im in need of serious help, i have spent alot on my peugeot 308 2009, and it just keeps giving me problems. The 4th cylender on my peugeot 308 2009 1.6 4cylender engine is giving low compression , the airbox was not put on during this test so im not sure if thats what is affecting it, but it might be a burnt valve however the head was recently done and head was skimmed. It was not driven only run, the timing might be done wrong but will it still be a burnt of bent valve? I really dont want to get the head done again can anyone help me i really need it
Welcome! Since the head was just redone, a valve adjusted too tight is a more likely culprit than a burnt valve. Verify valve lash if low compression is verified. Air box or no airbox does not affect compression test, however the throttle and choke need to be fully open for full accuracy.

Welcome! Since the head was just redone, a valve adjusted too tight is a more likely culprit than a burnt valve. Verify valve lash if low compression is verified. Air box or no airbox does not affect compression test, however the throttle and choke need to be fully open for full accuracy.
Im a complete noob when it comes to this stuff will it be a big job to open the throttle body and choke and verify valve lash? I also do not know what valve lash or the choke is can u explain ur help is very much appreciated

Opening throttle/choke plate has nothing to do with valve lash, only doing compression check. If you have a throttle body, you probably don’t have a choke to worry about, just open throttle wide open when doing the compression test. Don’t worry about checking lash yet. Crank it over 5 times for each cylinder tested, then stop. Count it by the needle jumping, post pressures and we will go from there

Opening throttle/choke plate has nothing to do with valve lash, only doing compression check. If you have a throttle body, you probably don’t have a choke to worry about, just open throttle wide open when doing the compression test. Don’t worry about checking lash yet. Crank it over 5 times for each cylinder tested, then stop. Count it by the needle jumping, post pressures and we will go from there
Ok thank you. The oil has been drained since the head was rsplaced and only oil was poured over camshafts, do i need to put more oil in ?

Ok thank you. The oil has been drained since the head was rsplaced and only oil was poured over camshafts, do i need to put more oil in ?
Yes the oil needs to be to the correct level on the dipstick.

now way to tell one way or another without taking things apart, oil is the life blood of an engine.

Ok, this helps because my understanding is there are petrol and diesel versions for the 1.6 Liter engine.

Is there any information that you can post about this engine?

We don’t have newer Peugeot vehicles in the United States. Peugeot stopped selling them here in 1991 and pulled out of the United States. Information would be very limited and almost impossible to get on Peugeot vehicles in the United States.
Are you able to find someone in South Africa that is able to help you?

Would you know if the valves need to be adjusted every so often? Or are they self adjusting?

Last edited:
Ok, this helps because my understanding is there are petrol and diesel versions for the 1.6 Liter engine.

Is there any information that you can post about this engine?

We don’t have newer Peugeot vehicles in the United States. Peugeot stopped selling them here in 1991 and pulled out of the United States. Information would be very limited and almost impossible to get on Peugeot vehicles in the United States.
Are you able to find someone in South Africa that is able to help you?

Would you know if the valves need to be adjusted every so often? Or are they self adjusting?
I think it is an n13 bmw engine like from an m1 i think. Unfortunately here in south africa theres a lot of people who would just like to rip us off. Im not sure about the valves but i think the rocker arms on the crankshaft may have been put on too tight or the timing was done incorrectly. It is a 4 cylender petrol engine and i think its also in mini coopers, i really dont want to take out the head as it would be too costly for me

Here is the N13 with the valve cover off.

IMG_1713.jpeg

IMG_1712.jpeg

The valves look like they automatically adjust. (hydraulic)

There is a lot that’s going on the intake side of the valve train. That is a very sophisticated setup.

I think it would be safer to find someone that is knowledgeable about these engines.

A factory repair manual would also help.

Last edited:
Back