Early Engine Numbers

mitchtez

Trying to identify an earlier engine in procession. Size and year perhaps.
I saw a previous thread that was quite comprehensive in the information gained from the Letters and Numerics used and for the 250 I6 motor that I am using in a Jeep project ie JG23MK etc. tells me that it is Australian, Broadmeadows plant, Falcon 500, 1972, June. Fabulous!
This other motor engine number is simply BD 20263. No other stampings that I can identify.
Any ideas?

Attached is a picture of it. BD20263
I don't think it is a Jeep Australia engine. (They used engines sourced from Fords Commercial Division for use in their Combat 6 range of CJ6's.
Attached is a copy of another document listing Engine numbers used in their vehicles up to 1969.
The models did continue to 1970, possibly 71? So could be a later one fitted to Jeeps, however I was led to believe that it came from a car.
I was just asking this forum if there is any knowledge of it, as the Jeep experts don't know other than a few remaining documents found like attached. I will have a look at those sites suggested, thanks Cool23. Cheers MITCH

Attachments

• engine_no_tom.jpg
    engine_no_tom.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 11
  • engines_combats.jpg
    engines_combats.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 11
Well, it is thought that Willys Australia and later Kaiser Jeep Australia, sourced their engines through the Commercial Division.
In the document above for the Combats, as they were called, it lists the different combinations used for the various models through the years.
In those references you gave me, (uniquecarsandparts), was a table of all engines from early to late with various letters for different months etc.
From that is it possibly an XT with a 188 cui motor built in March 67 or a XW with the same 188 cui donk built in July 68?
Hence why it has a smaller diameter Crankshaft to flywheel bolt pattern, which is the subject of my other thread in the Introduction Section?

I have just read your other post and I have had similar issues when I put the 170 in my T Roadster as I converted it to Toyota steel case 5 speed. I recall then the bell housing was different as my 170 engine required a later bell housing. I also had issues with thrust bearings in the change over.
Your change of engine will most likely have created similar issues.

Back