All Small Six Dashpot Dilema

This relates to all small sixes

Rev.LowBuck

I'll be swapping on a large log head onto my 200/C4 combo. Headers and an Autolite 2100 (1.02 @245cfm) will be part of the install. I'll be using Classic Inline's adapter for the carb rather than direct mount and using a cable and whatever gas pedal I get from the local boneyard for the throttle.

I know what a dashpot is supposed to do and I know how it works, but it is very in the way of how I'd like to run my cable.

I've eliminated dash pots from 2bbl V8s or pitched them when I changed to 4bbl manifolds without adverse effects. Is losing the dashpot for the sake of cable convenience something that will bite me in terms of drivability?

You guys are always a ton of help, so thanks in advance. Bonus Points awarded if you'd like to post pics of the throttle arrangement (cable, linkage, return springs, etc) in your 2100 equipped small 6. I can invent this wheel but I'm equally happy to implement your solutions.

Hi,

Can you please clarify what kind of dashpot you are referring to? It seems to be something on the intake I assume?

The dashpot is the little canister that the throttle lever comes against when it is closed. Looks like a little UFO...maybe, It's supposed to keep the throttle from slamming shut when you let off the gas. These are only used on cars equipped with automatic transmissions.s-l1600.jpg

Interesting, I didn't know those existed... thank you for posting the picture

we usta call them 'choke pull off' in old daze. May B cuz we choked'n coughed as we pulled them off & threw them away (no. 'Is a joke, ah said a joke, son')
or
I like Mike's carbs vids. He told me he had more'n a thousand up now

I say "How many auto/carbs ya C that it was required?"
Congrats on carb choice! One of my all time (ever made) top 2 on a 2V carb 8^ )

I'd put up the link to the ol spaghetti add ("Mikey! xxxit, xxxit") but see every 1 but it so simply say:
"Try it, you'll like it."

Last edited:
The dashpot is the little canister that the throttle lever comes against when it is closed. Looks like a little UFO...maybe, It's supposed to keep the throttle from slamming shut when you let off the gas. These are only used on cars equipped with automatic transmissions.View attachment 18803
They were conceived in the emissions era. It holds the throttle open slightly and bleeds off to curb-idle in a second or so. They help with deceleration flooding by keeping a bit more airflow at the moment the throttle shuts. It's not necessary. does not affect carb performance, strictly an add-on to soften the rich-spike inherent in all carbs at the moment of gong to closed throttle from a load.

If that one functions correctly, I'll take it if you remove it.

Back